October 24 2014 Latest news:
Monday, March 17, 2014
People have been urged to take care doing DIY after a Dunmow man was injured by an angle grinder.
The East of England Ambulance Service Trust (EEAST) issued the warning after being called to the incident shortly after 3pm yesterday.
The East Anglian Air Ambulance and a land ambulance were both dispatched to the scene off the B184.
An EEAST spokesman said: “A man in his 70s suffered a wound to his thigh and we managed to control the bleeding at the scene. He was conveyed to Broomfield Hospital by land where his condition wasn’t thought to be life threatening.”
The ambulance service’s tips for staying safe during DIY are:
• Wear protective clothing including safety goggles, gloves and dust mask when working with potentially hazardous materials;
• When painting, or using any material that generates toxic fumes or dust, keep the room well ventilated;
• Always use the correct tools for the job;
• Store tools in a safe place;
• When using knives, always cut away from you;
• When fixing or checking electrical appliances or connections, always switch off the power;
• Erect ladders according to the manufacturer’s instructions; and
• Don’t rush as you’re more likely to have an accident and carefully plan the job before you start work.