Car catches fire on the M11

15:17 27 February 2014

Archant

Firefighters were called after a car caught fire on the M11 this afternoon (Thursday).

Two crews from Saffron Walden, along with others from Newport and Stansted, arrived at the scene, between junctions eight and nine of the southbound carriageway, shortly after the fire was reported just after 2pm.

The incident commander reported that the car was 100 per cent alight.

Firefighters used two hose reels to tackle the fire. It was extinguished by about 2.40pm.

1 comment

  • I drove past on the Northbound at about 14:10. The car was indeed 100% alight, thick black smoke and fierce dense flames totally enveloped the car. It looked as if it was a Range Rover and worryingly there didn't seem to be any people watching nearby so i hope everyone got out ok. I was concerned because on the drive north to the A14 slip road which must have taken 5 to 7 minutes i didn't see any emergency crews on route.

    Report this comment

    Jonathan Glazier

    Thursday, February 27, 2014

Mon, 13:31
Waitrose.

Up to 70 jobs will be created when Waitrose completes a multi-million pound refurbishment of its Saffron Walden store, the supermarket giant has said.

Saturday, November 22, 2014
Year Three and Four teacher Tom Wade leads by example as RA Butler pupils raise money to fund a school toilet block with toilettwinning.org, as well as fundraising for Water Aid to fund a clean water pump.

RA Butler Academy was flush with ideas when it came to raising money on World Toilet Day last Wednesday.

Friday, November 21, 2014
Saffron Walden Police Station has been closed this week, following reports of a

Saffron Walden police station was abandoned this week after a rat was seen at the town centre headquarters.

Friday, November 21, 2014
Cllr Alastair Walters (right) fills sandbags for Felsted resident Reg Bentall, parish clerk Diane Smith and Uttlesford District Council’s Emergency Planning Officer Lisa Lipscombe.

Stocks of sandbags have been put in place around Uttlesford as part of a project aimed at giving residents a helping hand this winter.

E-edition

Most read stories