District council says bin backlog in Uttlesford should be cleared this week

PUBLISHED: 12:45 10 January 2018 | UPDATED: 13:05 10 January 2018

Uttlesford District Council has apologied for cancelling refuse collections

Uttlesford District Council has apologied for cancelling refuse collections


Uttlesford District Council has said the disruption to bin collections should be cleared this week and normal service resumed.

The authority said staff had been out on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday in a bid to clear a backlog of about 17,000 recycling bins.

The service has been severely disrupted in recent weeks due to bad weather and efforts to catch up on missed collections have also hit delays.

A spokesman for the council said: “With the increased volume of recycling to pick up, the catch-up programme has taken longer than anticipated, and some areas are still outstanding; however, please be reassured that we are doing everything possible to get things back to normal.

“Staff and crews were out on Saturday, Sunday and Monday in an attempt to catch up on the rounds that were missed. Across the three days the average crew member will have walked 21 miles and collectively helped to load almost 100 tonnes of waste. This was in addition to their usual weekly workload.

“Collections should return to normal this week and so any remaining missed bins will be cleared as part of your regular schedule.”

The spokesman added: “We would like to apologise again for the inconvenience caused during the recent disruption, and thank residents for their patience and understanding. We also thank people for their supportive messages on social media and the warm reception they have given the crews on their rounds.”

Residents can stay up to date with any changes to the refuse collections or adverse weather warnings, as well as other council information, by logging on to www.uttlesford.gov.uk/keepmeposted. You can also follow the council on Facebook and Twitter (search UttlesfordDC).


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Saffron Walden Reporter visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Saffron Walden Reporter staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Saffron Walden Reporter account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

A proposal set out by the Government which warns councils they could lose planning powers if not enough homes are built have been met with criticism from a council group who say it is a ‘further attack’ on authorities who are struggling to build the required number of homes.

Yesterday, 15:14

A teenager from Watford has been arrested by Hertfordshire Police as part of a National Crime Agency led investigation into the hoax bomb threat which affected schools across Essex.

Yesterday, 09:21

Police are appealing for information about two carjackings in Felsted on March 15 during which a man was threatened with a knife and another was forced out of his car.

Yesterday, 08:32

Burglars stole clothing worth thousands of pounds in another raid at Jacks in the early hours of Wednesday morning (March 21).

Digital Edition

Read the Saffron Walden Reporter e-edition E-edition

Most read stories

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter