Don’s of Dunmow save the day with a ‘fantastic’ trip

11:55 03 January 2014

Archant

Christmas cheer was in abundance when pensioners finally got the festive trip they had been denied.

A group of over 60s, most of them members of a social club at Banks Court, visited Rochester on December 14. It came after they had forked out £109 for a weekend trip to Blackpool in October, only to be left disappointed when the event was cancelled and they lost their money.

The Broadcast approached Don’s of Dunmow following the incident and the coach company was happy to treat the group to a free coach trip to the Kent town. They were delighted.

Jean Williams, 72, said: “We just want to say a big ‘thank you’ to Don’s for taking us on the free trip and to the Broadcast for publishing our story.

“We visited the cathedral and looked round the shops. It was a wonderful day.”

Derek Gypps added: “It was brilliant – Don’s did us proud. They decorated the coach, laid on drinks, mince pies and sausage rolls, and entertained us on the way there and back. They even held a raffle and sourced all the prizes.

“Rochester is a lovely little place and there was plenty to do.”

Warren Bolden, from the coach company, was pleased that “smiles had been put back on their faces”. He told the Broadcast: “We sang Christmas songs on the bus, it was brilliant. When we were coming home they all said how fantastic it was and thanked us.”

The coach company is now looking to put on a trip to Blackpool next year for the pensioners.

● A spokesman for Essex Police confirmed investigations are ongoing into an allegation of fraud against the organiser of the Blackpool trip.

0 comments

More news stories

Refurbishment work on Saffron Walden Town Hall is expected to be fully completed by the end of January, with 90 per cent of the main build finished by Christmas.

As Elizabeth crawled past me the other night, I got a whiff of something that didn’t smell too clever.

Yesterday, 12:00

A Saffron Walden doctor has received an award for his contribution to pre-hospital emergency care.

Yesterday, 11:24

Around 750,000 more passengers are expected to fly out of Stansted Airport next year after a package holiday airline officially launched its first UK base in the south of England.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Saffron Walden Reporter e-edition E-edition

Most read stories

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters: