Dunmow Scouts celebrate 75 years of history
PUBLISHED: 08:26 21 September 2012
A SCOUT group is celebrating 75 years of history this weekend.
On August 2, 1937, Sir Percy Everitt, deputy chief scout commissioner, opened the 1st Dunmow Scout Group headquarters in Mill Lane, pictured.
The grounds had been purchased two years earlier by the group through the work of scoutmaster Freddie ‘Skipper’ Clark who set about raising funds to build a hut for meetings. It was designed by Jack Gould, district commissioner of Braintree, and was built by T.A Goodey & Sons of Great Dunmow.
The hut is still in daily use by the Scouts and to celebrate the occasion, 1st Dunmow Scouts old and new will meet this Saturday.
The event will run from 11.30am to 4.30pm, and there will be photographs and other memorabilia on display, as well as some activities by the current Cubs and Scouts.
Six people in the photograph have been invited to the event. If any readers can identify themselves or others in the photo, call scout leader Pete Graves on 07765 858678.