April 18 2014 Latest news:
Monday, December 16, 2013
Dangerous chargers for electrical items could put buyers at risk of getting electric shocks, Trading Standards have warned.
It comes after the organisation’s officers in Essex were alerted to a charger claiming to be a genuine Apple product for iPads.
However, examination showed it wasn’t up to the standards required for its sale in Europe.
A lack of current overload protection as well as inadequate insulation meant the charger was equally capable of electrocuting users or starting a fire.
Earlier in the year Trading Standards officers tested 20 generic smart phone chargers and found one in five to fail expert tests so badly they posed a serious risk of injury.
The subject of latest complaint was marked as ‘Designed by Apple in California’ and as being manufactured by Foxlink Technology.
Foxlink do make devices for Apple but this was not a genuine product and was not made by them.
Essex county councillor Roger Walters, cabinet member responsible for Trading Standards, said: “Trading Standards officers do their best to keep the residents of Essex safe through use of intelligence.
“Advice is provided to Essex importers and manufacturers, but consumers must be vigilant when buying plug-in mains chargers and should only make a purchase from a reputable retailer.
“If people have any concerns they should contact Trading Standards via 08454 04 05 06.”
Essex County Council is now working with Apple representatives to stop sales of dangerous charges claiming to be genuine products.
The team is also asking people to be careful when buying batteries.
Cheap batteries could appear to be value for money but may lose their charge or leak into the product.
Their advise is to buy known brands of batteries.
Mr Walters said while not unsafe they may not meet expectations