Essex: Final preparations for the Tour de France
14:35 03 July 2014
There is just a week to go until the Tour de France comes to Essex and final preparations are taking place to make the event a success.
Bunting and banners have been put up in the towns and villages along the route, while signs have gone up reminding about road closures and parking restrictions.
Final assessments of the route are being carried out while the organisers are making their final checks to ensure the event runs smoothly.
Cllr Ann Naylor, cabinet member for public health and wellbeing, said: “While we are making final preparations it is also really important that members of the public are too.
“I’d encourage everyone to ensure they know when the roads close in their area and how they will be affected.
“Roads around the county will be busy and there will also be disruption to some public transport so it is really important to get all the information you need and plan ahead.
“If you have to work on the day have you made arrangements to work at home, or if you are a business have you got your business continuity plan in place?
“The Tour de France coming to Essex is going to be the most exciting day of the year and we want people to make the most of it. All the information they need to do that is on our website LeTourEssex.com and there’ll be live updates on the day on our Twitter account @LeTourEssex.”
Stage Three of the Tour de France comes to Essex on Monday, July 7:
• Roads close in Uttlesford and Braintree between 7.30am and 4pm; in Chelmsford between 8am and 5pm; in Epping Forest north of the A414 between 8am and 4pm; and in Epping Forest south of, and including the A414, between 9am and 5pm;
• The only roads that are closed are those that make up the Tour de France route; cul-de-sacs and no-through-roads connected to roads on the route will be open but may not be accessible;
• While the road closures are in place no vehicles, bicycles or horses are permitted on the route;
• Vehicle owners will not be able to park on the route while the road closures are in place;
• Vehicle owners parked on the route will have to move their vehicles before the road closures come into effect; vehicle owners parked on the route on Palmers Hill and the High Street in Epping will have to move their cars by 4pm on Sunday, July 6 so infrastructure work on the sprint section can take place;
• A list of bus services effected is available at LeTourEssex.com.