December 8 2013 Latest news:
Monday, October 28, 2013
A 70-year-old man suffered burns after a camping stove he was using during a power cut exploded.
Firefighters were called to Bell Lane, Great Bardfield, at around 9am this morning (Monday) after the explosion set light to the man’s kitchen.
One crew from Thaxted and another from Great Dunmow attended and firefighters used breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet to extinguish the fire by 9.40am.
The man suffered burns and the effects of smoke inhalation. He was left in the care of the ambulance service.
Divisional Officer Neil Fenwick issued a warning to residents.
He said: “Incidents like this show the danger of lighting infrequently used gas stoves. Our best advice is never use a gas stove indoors, they not only pose a risk of explosion but could also lead to a build up of deadly carbon monoxide gas.”