Saffron Walden firefighters called to kitchen fire

PUBLISHED: 10:43 05 November 2015 | UPDATED: 10:43 05 November 2015


Firefighters were called to a kitchen fire at a sheltered accomodation block in Ashdon on Wednesday afternoon (November 4).

The fire was contained to the cooker in the third floor flat and was out when two crews from Saffron Walden arrived.

Fire officers used a positive pressured fan to clear smoke from the property.

Station Manager Paul Curtis said: “It is thanks to a working smoke alarm that the resident and warden were alerted to a fire in her kitchen. The wardens quick response to smoother the fire with a fire blanket prevented the fire spreading further.

“More fires start in the kitchen than any other room and cooking is the most common cause of fires in the home.”

Essex Fire and Rescue Service have issued the following kitchen safety tips:

Keep your oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.

Avoid leaving cooking unattended.

If you have to leave the kitchen to answer the door or send a text, turn off the cooker.

Check toasters are clean and placed away from curtains and kitchen rolls.

Take care when cooking with hot oil, it sets alight easily. If the oil starts to smoke, it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.

The best way to stay safe in the home is to fit and regularly test smoke alarms. If you would like to arrange for a free home fire safety visit, during which smoke alarms will be fitted free of charge, then call 0300 303 0088 or email


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Saffron Walden Reporter visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Saffron Walden Reporter staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Saffron Walden Reporter account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Saturday, November 17, 2018

A burglary was committed at a Co-op in Great Bardfield early this morning (November 17).

Friday, November 16, 2018

Emptying bins and running the recycling service remains the most important priority for Uttlesford District Council, according to residents who completed a recent survey.

Friday, November 16, 2018

A former police officer based in Essex has been found guilty of gross misconduct after having a sexually explicit conversation with a convicted paedophile and failing to report it.

Friday, November 16, 2018

The parents of Ronnie Leys, a three-year-old from Saffron Walden who recently underwent a life-changing operation to allow him to walk, said their son’s progress has been “remarkable”.

Digital Edition

Read the Saffron Walden Reporter e-edition E-edition

Most read stories

Newsletter Sign Up

Saffron Walden Reporter weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy