Saffron Walden Castle regeneration masterplan revealed

12:40 21 March 2014

An artist

An artist's impression of what the castle could look like.

Archant

A masterplan to transform Walden Castle into a hive of tourist activity has been revealed.

Last year, the Reporter exclusively revealed that plans were afoot to spend in the region of £400,000 on restoring the scheduled monument.

Uttlesford District Council (UDC), which is leading the project, has also proposed to light up the 12th century Norman castle to make it more attractive and enhance its position in the town.

The inside of the castle is to be opened up for visitors, while interpretation boards and a welcome sign will also be introduced. There will be upgrades made to the entrance, with the installation of a new gate and the removal of trees, to make it more inviting.

UDC is legally obliged, by English Heritage, to carry out the extensive repairs.

It is likely to take two to three years for all the work to be completed.

Assistant director of planning at UDC, Andrew Taylor, presented the masterplan to members of Saffron Walden Town Council last week.

He dismissed the possibility of the grounds surrounding the castle being used for anything other than open space.

Cllr Cliff Treadwell had suggested it be turned into a car park to meet the town’s need for more parking spaces.

“It’s something we did actually look at when there was a need for a temporary car park [to cover the proposed loss of parking spaces while Waitrose underwent its refurbishment],” Mr Taylor said.

“However it was quickly dismissed by English Heritage. They said they would not allow it.”

0 comments

More news stories

Yesterday, 17:24
Firefighters

A fire broke out in a Stansted garage this afternoon (Thursday).

Yesterday, 16:31
Hugh Parmeter

Cricket coach Hugh Parmenter, is planning to get on his bike in June and ride to Amsterdam.

Yesterday, 07:00
Houses could be out of reach.

Only a third of couples can afford to buy a home in Uttlesford, new research has shown.

Yesterday, 17:37
Chelmsford Crown Court

Five charges of alleged historic sex offences at an Essex fire brigade training centre in Witham have been dropped by prosecutors.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Saffron Walden Reporter e-edition E-edition

Most read stories