Saffron Walden’s Tory MP Sir Alan Haselhurst will stand at the next General Election

11:16 14 February 2014

Sir Alan Haselhurst, MP for Saffron Walden.

Sir Alan Haselhurst, MP for Saffron Walden.

Archant

Saffron Walden MP Sir Alan Haselhurst will stand in the General Election.

The Executive Committee of the Saffron Walden Constituency Conservative Association (SWCCA) met last night (Thursday, February 13) to re-adopt the Tory candidate for next year.

The 76-year-old will be fighting his 10th election in Saffron Walden, the constituency he has represented since 1977.

Speaking after the meeting, Sir Alan said: “I am delighted to be re-selected and I look forward to fighting the next General Election.

“It has been very heart-warming to hear the amount of vocal support that I’ve had and the party is now united behind me.”

He added: “I have not lost the appetite for the job. It’s a job I have craved since my student days and it’s a job I love doing. I am still determined to try to help people the best I can.

“Whilst everyone will not agree with me, I try to ensure that their views are heard and taken into account.

“I hope that on the big issues for the constituency, I speak up effectively in Parliament and I look forward to continuing to do so.”

Rumours had been circulating about whether he was too old for the job and there were suggestions that he planned to retire.

Sir Alan denied the claims and before last night’s meeting told the Reporter that he had every intention of continuing in his role.

0 comments

More news stories

Yesterday, 17:00

Five people were arrested following a drugs raid on a home in Saffron Walden this morning.

00:01

High-risk sex offenders, including those with a history of breaching court restrictions, are not being checked by Essex Police a new report has revealed.

Yesterday, 16:26

Residents for Uttlesford (R4U) has accused the leadership of the district council of “underhand behaviour” amid claims that councillors have already made up their minds about where they want houses to be built.

Yesterday, 10:41

Residents in Clavering are calling for vehicles to be banned from a byway in the village after a frightening near-miss incident involving a car and a child was captured on camera.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Saffron Walden Reporter e-edition E-edition

Most read stories

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter