Second Uttlesford councillor is cleared of wrongdoing over alleged code of conduct breach

15:31 10 July 2014

Cllr Vic Ranger

Cllr Vic Ranger

Archant

For the second time in a month Uttlesford District Council has dismissed a breach of the code of conduct claim against one of its members.

The authority received a complaint alleging that Councillor Vic Ranger, ward councillor for Great Dunmow South, had breached the council’s code of conduct.

It was alleged that Cllr Ranger had pre-judged a planning application being considered at the planning committee meeting on May 7.

Following an investigation, the monitoring officer concluded that whilst Cllr Ranger was pre-disposed towards the application the evidence showed that he had not pre-judged it and had approached the application with an open mind.

In the circumstances there was no breach of the code of conduct, the monitoring officer said.

A spokesman for the council said: “In accordance with the council’s procedure, the monitoring officer’s report was sent to all members of the Standards Committee, any one of whom could have referred the report to the committee for consideration if they considered it appropriate to do so.

“No such request was received within 10 working days of the report being submitted and therefore the monitoring officer’s decision is final.”

Last month, cabinet member with responsibility for the Local Plan, Cllr Susan Barker, was cleared of breaching the district council’s code of conduct.

It was alleged that Cllr Susan Barker, who represents the Rodings, misled fellow members and brought the local authority into disrepute during a meeting about the Local Plan on April 22.

Michael Perry, the district council’s assistant chief executive and legal chief, who investigated the complaint, found no case to answer.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Saffron Walden Reporter visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Saffron Walden Reporter staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Saffron Walden Reporter account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Police tape outside the One Stop in Elsenham

Essex Police are continuing their appeal for witnesses over the raid at the One Stop in Elsenham on Tuesday (September 1).

Sir Alan Haselhurst MP

There has been a call for Britain to take more Syrian refugees from the MP for Saffron Walden Sir Alan Haselhurst.

Luca and Nicola Pagliaro of Vorrei

A family-run Saffron Walden company has reached the final of an Essex competition aimed at exciting new businesses in the county.

Brian Gibbs was jailed for eight years

A man convicted of sexual abuse of young boys in Saffron Walden has been sentenced to eight years in prison.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Saffron Walden Reporter e-edition today E-edition

Most read stories