Takeley man faces possible jail time over theft of armour from Mountfitchet Castle

PUBLISHED: 17:17 28 July 2014 | UPDATED: 17:51 28 July 2014

Mountfitchet Castle

Mountfitchet Castle

Archant

A Takeley man who stole artefacts from Stansted’s Mountfitchet Castle has been warned he probably faces jail.

Daniel Johnson, 33, of Canfield Road, pleaded guilty at Chelmsford Crown Court to two thefts and two burglaries at Mountfitchet Castle, Harlow Museum, Maldon’s Combined Services Museum and Clink Lane Museum in Southwark, London.

He admitted theft of military artefacts, including an axe, chainmail, coffin and a helmet, worth £900, belonging to Maldon Combined Services Museum on March 13 this year; and to theft of Roman armour between March 13 and 16 belonging to Harlow Museum worth £1,000.

He also pleaded guilty to burglary of Mountfitchet Castle’s Grand Hall and Armoury between March 14 and 18 and stealing arms and ammunition worth £6,700; and to burglary on March 14 at Clink Lane Museum, Southwark, including a belt, thumbscrews, and scold’s bridle, worth £1,000.

Johnson must now wait to hear his fate after his sentencing was adjourned until September.

Prosecutor John Livingston told the court Johnson had no previous convictions and continued: “It’s a rather strange case of thefts from museums.”

Mitigating Stephen Levy said Johnson was brought to the attention of police as the person responsible and he made full confessions.

Asking for a pre-sentence report, the lawyer said: “He is a man of good character who has found himself committing these offences, which is totally out of character, within a very short period of time.”

Mr Levy said Johnson had been seeing a consultant psychiatrist since and been medicated.

Judge Anthony Goldstaub QC today (Monday) adjourned sentence until the week of September 15 for psychiatric and probation service reports.

But he warned Johnson: “On the face of it the offences will require you to be sent to prison but I will consider all options with the benefit of the reports.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Saffron Walden Reporter visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Saffron Walden Reporter staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Saffron Walden Reporter account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Police would like to speak to this woman in connection with a burglary in Thaxted earlier this summer.

Friday, July 21, 2017

Fresh calls have been made to encourage Saffron Walden business owners to join forces and improve the area.

Friday, July 21, 2017

A magistrate from Saffron Walden has been announced as one of five new Deputy Lieutenants for Essex.

Friday, July 21, 2017

A proposal to build new sports facilities at Carver Barracks is closer to becoming a reality after a part-funding promise from Uttlesford District Council.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Saffron Walden Reporter e-edition E-edition

Most read stories

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter