What’s on: Words in Walden Spring Festival – Not only ... But also ...
PUBLISHED: 15:29 18 January 2013 | UPDATED: 15:29 18 January 2013
REPORTER readers may have spotted an early story listing some of the top-class speakers coming to Saffron Walden in March for the Words in Walden Spring 2013 Festival.
They would have been riches enough. But there is even more in the festival’s ‘Box of Delights’.
Appropriately, given Jonathan Miller’s presence at the festival, it is a case of Beyond the Fringe style ‘Not only ... But also ...’
As well as Miller, disaster response team medic Richard Villar, language guru Professor David Crystal, ebullient conservationist (and father of Boris and Rachel) Stanley Johnson, architectural historian Timothy Brittain-Catlin, and a musical tribute to The Great American Songbook, festival organisers, Harts Events, are delighted to be welcoming a host of other top-class speakers:
• Barry Cryer (comedy legend of ‘I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue’ fame) is coming with his son BOB and their spoof diary from Sherlock Holmes’ housekeeper, Mrs Hudson
• Nicholas Crane, who will be showcasing Saffron Walden later this Spring in the BBC’s Town series, returns to the festival to talk about what he discovered
• Call the Midwife screenwriter and local star, Heidi Thomas, comes to talk about her life and work
• Roald Dahl Funny Prize-winning children’s author, Rebecca Patterson, will be telling her stories in the Library
• In a new venture, cook Pri Bamford, of Pri’s Kitchen, will be demonstrating her authentic Indian cookery.
Tickets now available online at hartsevents.co.uk, by calling 01799 523456, at Harts on Shire Hill, or at Saffron Walden Tourist Information Centre.