Caring council supported evacuation
UTTLESFORD District Council is proud of the action it took to provide support to the British families evacuated to Stansted Airport from Lebanon last Summer. Those arriving had been bombed out of their homes and faced ordeals that most of us could not be
UTTLESFORD District Council is proud of the action it took to provide support to the British families evacuated to Stansted Airport from Lebanon last Summer.
Those arriving had been bombed out of their homes and faced ordeals that most of us could not begin to imagine.
The people involved were in need of our help, and we were right to give them that support.
Our argument is with the Government, not with the British evacuees from Lebanon.
You may also want to watch:
The Government should have shown the same level of care as the council has shown and provided funding to support us.
We are one of very few local authorities that has a major airport within our boundary, and the Government has failed to recognise the particular responsibilities that this places upon us.
- 1 Market Square event organisers "amazed" at popularity of dine-out event
- 2 Wiseman dynasty gets new star as 15-year-old Max hits first senior ton
- 3 New mayor, deputy mayor and leader appointed for town council
- 4 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 5 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 6 Walden teddy bear shop to relocate to new venue
- 7 Ex-prison governor on writing, retirement and baking at Angela Reed
- 8 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
- 9 Front garden VE Day display planned in Great Chesterford
- 10 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
But this does not mean that we have been wrong to spend money on providing support to the evacuees.
Yes, the money will now come from our reserves, but there will be no real impact on the council's services.
Uttlesford is a very caring and compassionate community.
I know from talking to people in the district that they support the actions we took, and that they will continue to back us in continuing to do the best job we can for people in real need.
Cllr Mark Gayler
Leader of Uttlesford District Council