Caring council supported evacuation
UTTLESFORD District Council is proud of the action it took to provide support to the British families evacuated to Stansted Airport from Lebanon last Summer. Those arriving had been bombed out of their homes and faced ordeals that most of us could not be
UTTLESFORD District Council is proud of the action it took to provide support to the British families evacuated to Stansted Airport from Lebanon last Summer.
Those arriving had been bombed out of their homes and faced ordeals that most of us could not begin to imagine.
The people involved were in need of our help, and we were right to give them that support.
Our argument is with the Government, not with the British evacuees from Lebanon.
You may also want to watch:
The Government should have shown the same level of care as the council has shown and provided funding to support us.
We are one of very few local authorities that has a major airport within our boundary, and the Government has failed to recognise the particular responsibilities that this places upon us.
- 1 Free vegetarian meal service launched
- 2 Robbers leave with hundreds of pounds after threatening business staff
- 3 Long recycling centre queues into the road 'nearly cause accident'
- 4 Great Anglia named train operator of the year
- 5 Council responds to unflattering comments
- 6 Thefts from village cars cause hundreds of pounds in losses
- 7 District council urged to cancel investment
- 8 Controversial investment is ethical, district councillors say
- 9 St Clare Hospice 10k run set to take place this April
- 10 Covid jab success in North Uttlesford
But this does not mean that we have been wrong to spend money on providing support to the evacuees.
Yes, the money will now come from our reserves, but there will be no real impact on the council's services.
Uttlesford is a very caring and compassionate community.
I know from talking to people in the district that they support the actions we took, and that they will continue to back us in continuing to do the best job we can for people in real need.
Cllr Mark Gayler
Leader of Uttlesford District Council