Caring council supported evacuation
UTTLESFORD District Council is proud of the action it took to provide support to the British families evacuated to Stansted Airport from Lebanon last Summer. Those arriving had been bombed out of their homes and faced ordeals that most of us could not be
UTTLESFORD District Council is proud of the action it took to provide support to the British families evacuated to Stansted Airport from Lebanon last Summer.
Those arriving had been bombed out of their homes and faced ordeals that most of us could not begin to imagine.
The people involved were in need of our help, and we were right to give them that support.
Our argument is with the Government, not with the British evacuees from Lebanon.
The Government should have shown the same level of care as the council has shown and provided funding to support us.
We are one of very few local authorities that has a major airport within our boundary, and the Government has failed to recognise the particular responsibilities that this places upon us.
- 1 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 2 Government accused of 'grotesque waste of taxpayers' money' after Stansted flight
- 3 New vehicles to catch Essex's criminals on the county's fast roads
- 4 Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022 line-up announced for Hylands Park
- 5 Plan to ease congestion at M11 junction 8 gets underway
- 6 Uttlesford District Council row over £4m 'black hole'
- 7 In pictures: Burns Night at Walden's The Railway Arms
- 8 Miss Disco's Valentine's date with fans at Saffron Walden's football club
- 9 Celebrating 20th anniversary of Harry Potter at Saffron Screen
- 10 Walden's Wizard of Oz snowflake trail winner is crowned
But this does not mean that we have been wrong to spend money on providing support to the evacuees.
Yes, the money will now come from our reserves, but there will be no real impact on the council's services.
Uttlesford is a very caring and compassionate community.
I know from talking to people in the district that they support the actions we took, and that they will continue to back us in continuing to do the best job we can for people in real need.
Cllr Mark Gayler
Leader of Uttlesford District Council