After the power cut in Saffron Walden on Saturday, December 30, I wrote this: A Dark and Beautiful Night, They turned our lights out last night they did, And could have saved us a couple of quid, All in the dark for a moment or two, Fumbling, creeping for
After the power cut in Saffron Walden on Saturday, December 30, I wrote this:
A Dark and Beautiful Night, They turned our lights out last night they did, And could have saved us a couple of quid, All in the dark for a moment or two, Fumbling, creeping for a candle and light, To see us settle in for the night.
The silence was blissful, hardly any noise, Just delight and caution from the two boys, Everything electric quiet and still, Silhouettes and peace, my dream come true, Perhaps this is the answer to a life anew.
Relaxing the eyes, a less focused brain, Walls of shadows now in the frame, Flickering duskiness, beautiful haze, To see us poised in view, Enjoying the few things left to do.
Time advanced at a slow tick-tock, As so many years ago with the grandfather clock, Elegance, grace, tranquillity and us, Our world now seen in a different light, Transformed into a very good night.
- 1 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 Toaster joy: Radwinter Repair Cafe to the rescue
- 4 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 5 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 6 The Silver Wolf, highest Scouting honour, for Neville Wilson
- 7 Hidden secrets, free medals, live jazz for Platinum Jubilee
- 8 Obituary: On-call firefighter dedicated life to community
- 9 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 10 Nearly 100 homes planned for former Friends' School