After the power cut in Saffron Walden on Saturday, December 30, I wrote this: A Dark and Beautiful Night, They turned our lights out last night they did, And could have saved us a couple of quid, All in the dark for a moment or two, Fumbling, creeping for
After the power cut in Saffron Walden on Saturday, December 30, I wrote this:
A Dark and Beautiful Night, They turned our lights out last night they did, And could have saved us a couple of quid, All in the dark for a moment or two, Fumbling, creeping for a candle and light, To see us settle in for the night.
The silence was blissful, hardly any noise, Just delight and caution from the two boys, Everything electric quiet and still, Silhouettes and peace, my dream come true, Perhaps this is the answer to a life anew.
Relaxing the eyes, a less focused brain, Walls of shadows now in the frame, Flickering duskiness, beautiful haze, To see us poised in view, Enjoying the few things left to do.
You may also want to watch:
Time advanced at a slow tick-tock, As so many years ago with the grandfather clock, Elegance, grace, tranquillity and us, Our world now seen in a different light, Transformed into a very good night.
- 1 Quakers ask district council to reverse decision as investment row continues
- 2 District council is not investing in arms trade, say councillors
- 3 Gordon's 'fiver for a jab' fundraiser for NHS
- 4 Essex county council deputy says he will stand for top job
- 5 Robbers leave with hundreds of pounds after threatening business staff
- 6 Essex recruiting on-call firefighters
- 7 Stroke at 27 - now teacher is giving something back
- 8 Long recycling centre queues into the road 'nearly cause accident'
- 9 Free vegetarian meal service launched
- 10 Covid jab success in North Uttlesford