After the power cut in Saffron Walden on Saturday, December 30, I wrote this: A Dark and Beautiful Night, They turned our lights out last night they did, And could have saved us a couple of quid, All in the dark for a moment or two, Fumbling, creeping for
After the power cut in Saffron Walden on Saturday, December 30, I wrote this:
A Dark and Beautiful Night, They turned our lights out last night they did, And could have saved us a couple of quid, All in the dark for a moment or two, Fumbling, creeping for a candle and light, To see us settle in for the night.
The silence was blissful, hardly any noise, Just delight and caution from the two boys, Everything electric quiet and still, Silhouettes and peace, my dream come true, Perhaps this is the answer to a life anew.
Relaxing the eyes, a less focused brain, Walls of shadows now in the frame, Flickering duskiness, beautiful haze, To see us poised in view, Enjoying the few things left to do.
You may also want to watch:
Time advanced at a slow tick-tock, As so many years ago with the grandfather clock, Elegance, grace, tranquillity and us, Our world now seen in a different light, Transformed into a very good night.
- 1 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 2 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 3 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 4 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 5 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 6 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 7 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 8 Saffron Striders' Mark Coutts runs from Paddington to Bristol instead of letting the train take the strain
- 9 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 10 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays