Don't mess with market square
THE market traders are not the only ones concerned about the proposed work to the Market Square (Marketeers up in arms, Reporter, September 4). Local retailers like me have endured 10 months of building work last year to the library, and nine months alrea
THE market traders are not the only ones concerned about the proposed work to the Market Square (Marketeers up in arms, Reporter, September 4).
Local retailers like me have endured 10 months of building work last year to the library, and nine months already this year because of the new M&Co.
We pay high enough rates (unlike the market traders) yet, due to the disruption have seen a major drop in trade over the last two years. Now we have to contemplate three months' upheaval next year for the Market Square to be renovated.
I haven't spoken to anyone in favour of this work being carried out. Were local taxpayers consulted about this? (I wasn't). The town's uneven pavements are a good example of improvements gone wrong.
You may also want to watch:
I feel for the hard-working market traders - their livelihoods are being played with! This is a market town, you can't move the market for three months.
It works fine as it is - if something isn't broke, don't fix it! (Please spend our hard-earned money on something worthwhile, like pay-as-you-leave parking fees). This debacle benefits nobody.
- 1 The number of Indian variant Covid cases in Uttlesford
- 2 Saffron Walden young triathletes dominate at national qualifier
- 3 Tools collection is a huge success
- 4 District heroes named in Queen's Birthday Honours list
- 5 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 6 Bronze Age and Roman treasures go on display at museum
- 7 Revealed: images of new hospital that aims to be carbon neutral
- 8 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 9 Ibiza legend Dave Pearce and Clockwork Orange Andy Manston at garden party
- 10 'We're not trying to target young people': e-scooter awareness drive
Name and address supplied