Don't mess with market square
THE market traders are not the only ones concerned about the proposed work to the Market Square (Marketeers up in arms, Reporter, September 4). Local retailers like me have endured 10 months of building work last year to the library, and nine months alrea
THE market traders are not the only ones concerned about the proposed work to the Market Square (Marketeers up in arms, Reporter, September 4).
Local retailers like me have endured 10 months of building work last year to the library, and nine months already this year because of the new M&Co.
We pay high enough rates (unlike the market traders) yet, due to the disruption have seen a major drop in trade over the last two years. Now we have to contemplate three months' upheaval next year for the Market Square to be renovated.
I haven't spoken to anyone in favour of this work being carried out. Were local taxpayers consulted about this? (I wasn't). The town's uneven pavements are a good example of improvements gone wrong.
You may also want to watch:
I feel for the hard-working market traders - their livelihoods are being played with! This is a market town, you can't move the market for three months.
It works fine as it is - if something isn't broke, don't fix it! (Please spend our hard-earned money on something worthwhile, like pay-as-you-leave parking fees). This debacle benefits nobody.
- 1 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 2 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 3 Spurs partnership with Walden clubs is a first in UK
- 4 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 5 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on July 29, 2021
- 6 £7.5 million cash package sought for new A120 business park
- 7 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 8 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 9 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 10 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100
Name and address supplied