Expansion is not viable
GIVEN the alleged universal opposition to Stansted Airport expansion and the Elsenham eco-town I am surprised at the prominence given to the views of Steven Sartain. Could he possibly attract a wider following than many of us would care to acknowledge? I,
GIVEN the alleged universal opposition to Stansted Airport expansion and the Elsenham eco-town I am surprised at the prominence given to the views of Steven Sartain. Could he possibly attract a wider following than many of us would care to acknowledge? I, for one, wish he had shown the same degree of engagement as minister Caroline Flint.
You have been kind enough to print my opposition to this site; however, were I the minister I would find it difficult to take seriously the arguments of a district council opposed to the modern conception of an 'eco town' and yet in favour of a developer's idea of paradise on the same site; I suspect it would resemble the estate near Tesco in Dunmow.
It is of major importance the case put forward against the development of Elsenham does not appear to her as parochial, vested or politically orientated. The effect of excessive development in the East of England would be far reaching and in the long term an environmental and humanitarian disaster.
The rest of Europe is under the same pressure of population growth and loss of food-producing land.
You may also want to watch:
Fortunately an enlarged airport is looking less financially viable by the week; to proceed in the present climate would be at best imprudent and in no way justify the devastation of a vast tract of countryside.
C Gilbey, Birdbush Avenue, Saffron Walden
- 1 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 2 M11 targeted in week of motorway protests
- 3 Covid booster jab sessions due to start at Lord Butler
- 4 Andy Scott's Chornic Kidney Disease story
- 5 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 6 Astronomy: What to look for in the sky this September
- 7 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 8 Reflections: A World War One soldier who was killed in battle
- 9 Appeal to find Stansted teen, missing for five days
- 10 Campaign aims to cut Essex roads deaths and series injuries to zero