At last some sense from your correspondent P Damary-Homan (letter published in the Reporter January 3) about apportionment of blame in the Uttlesford District Council budget crisis. Perhaps a word of explanation would help? A council is required to set a
At last some sense from your correspondent P Damary-Homan (letter published in the Reporter January 3) about apportionment of blame in the Uttlesford District Council budget crisis. Perhaps a word of explanation would help?
A council is required to set a balanced budget and should have an adequate system of internal budgetary control. That will be backed up by its own internal auditors who will be responsible to ensure that an adequate control system is in place.
The job of councillors through their Audit Committee (or whatever it is called locally) is, amongst other things, to make sure that the council has an adequate and effective internal audit function and to approve the council's annual accounts. That means asking the right questions at the right time and ensuring it is given satisfactory answers.
While the Audit Committee does not set spending policy it should make sure that the appropriate people are given figures regularly enough for overspends to be identified before they become a crisis.
You may also want to watch:
As LibDem chairman of Tory-run Cambridgeshire's Audit and Accounts Committee I have no difficulty with this system.
Your correspondent is absolutely right that we don't do the auditing ourselves and we have to rely on the council's staff and the answers they give us. But that seems to work perfectly well in Cambridgeshire.
- 1 Long recycling centre queues into the road 'nearly cause accident'
- 2 Free vegetarian meal service launched
- 3 Contractors arrive for £1.25m sports facility works
- 4 Gordon's 'fiver for a jab' fundraiser for NHS
- 5 Greens and Lib Dems disassociate themselves from investment decision
- 6 Quakers ask district council to reverse decision as investment row continues
- 7 Essex county council deputy says he will stand for top job
- 8 Fun for virtual World Book Day 2021
- 9 Try this: MasterChef winner Chef Webb's recipe for roasted chicken supreme
- 10 District council is not investing in arms trade, say councillors
What we have yet to be told is exactly what went wrong in Uttlesford. The allegations and counter-allegations we have seen in the Reporter leave us entirely in the dark.