Fighting for fuel
YOUR front page story last week asked for views on the closure of petrol stations. I think everyone will find it deeply difficult to lose not just the Debden Road facility, but also and probably more importantly the one in Newport. Even though petrol is
YOUR front page story last week asked for views on the closure of petrol stations.
I think everyone will find it deeply difficult to lose not just the Debden Road facility, but also and probably more importantly the one in Newport.
Even though petrol is cheaper at Tesco I use Tony Knight's station in Newport as I want to support it.
It is very serious for villages like Clavering as it means a 15-mile round trip to buy petrol at Saffron Walden or Stansted - our petrol station in Clavering also closed and the loss of all these facilities is anti-environment as it forces us to use more petrol going to fetch it!
If everyone in the villages got their petrol at Newport we could keep it open - I suggest Newport residents declare its importance and fight to keep it.
The garage owners blame Tesco supermarket, which does seem bent on taking over everything.
- 1 Teen arrested for 'terrorism offences' at Stansted Airport
- 2 The Railway Arms awarded CAMRA county pub of the year
- 3 Wenden Junior Cricket Club embrace new cricket season
- 4 How well do you know the Gibson Library?
- 5 Committee and president appointed for Elsenham WI
- 6 Uttlesford new development could be triple the size of one refused
- 7 Ben & Jerry's ice cream sold at Sainsbury's recalled due to health concerns
- 8 Dane's 10 day walk home with only a backpack
- 9 Muddy Dog Challenge raises over £70K: Pictures from event
- 10 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
They are also increasingly selling household goods instead of food. Some things may seem cheaper there, but we are all the losers when it drives other places out of business.