Give us all the facts call
THE latest edition of Plane Talk from BAA includes an assertion that aviation is only responsible for five per cent of the UK s carbon dioxide emissions. Actually the figure is now more than six per cent. But BAA fails to mention that aviation emissions a
THE latest edition of Plane Talk from BAA includes an assertion that aviation is only responsible for five per cent of the UK's carbon dioxide emissions. Actually the figure is now more than six per cent.
But BAA fails to mention that aviation emissions are far more damaging to the environment than emissions at ground level by a factor of between two and four, with the internationally accepted factor being 2.7.
This means aviation currently accounts for 15 per cent of the UK's contribution to man-made global warming. And of course aviation is now the fastest increasing cause of carbon dioxide emissions.
Leading experts have stated the UK will have no hope of reaching its targets for reducing emissions if the aviation industry continues to grow at predicted rates.
One geophysicist recently stated that aviation growth, if unchecked, 'would bring our planet to its knees'.
- 1 Essex parents fear return to remote lessons amid school staff shortage
- 2 Proposed law which sparked Saffron Walden protests suffers House of Lords defeat
- 3 Consultation on traffic in Walden's Market Square ends on Monday
- 4 Essex Young Farmers celebrate Plough Sunday with Thaxted tractor run
- 5 Fire and ambulance crews rescue after serious M11 crash
- 6 Walden author unveils third book, with a touching dedication
- 7 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 8 Penalty heartbreak for Saffron Walden as FA Vase dreams come to an end
- 9 Things to do in Essex February 2022
- 10 East of England Tourism Awards 2021-2022: Customer Excellence Award finalists