‘Government was wrong to ditch free swimming for children and over 60s’
THE agreement between David Cameron and his deputy, Nick Clegg to abolish free swimming for our children and over 60s has been given an overwhelming ‘thumbs down’ by the people of Saffron Walden.
In a survey taken in the Market Square, in the vicinity of some schools and the Lord Butler Leisure Centre, there was massive support for it to be restored.
The government say that ‘recently published research shows that it was not value for money ‘ and MP Sir Alan Haselhurst has stated ‘I am aware that some people will be directly disadvantaged but most people are going to be affected one way or another‘. In other words, tough!
The local Labour Party has given the residents of Saffron Walden the opportunity to say what they think and they, the people, want it restored. This was a mean, unnecessary and ideological law hurriedly brought in to force for the start of the school holidays.
You may also want to watch:
Swimming is not just for fun, it is a wonderful form of exercise for young and old and the advantages are priceless. Views were taken from a wide cross section of the community and even we were taken aback at the strength of feeling and indeed some anger at the abolition of free swimming.
We will submit our findings to the Prime Minister and his deputy, leaders of the ConDem Coalition Government, and urge them to think again.
- 1 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 2 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 3 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 4 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 5 Audley End Miniature Railway celebrates a lockdown easing sellout
- 6 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 7 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 8 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 9 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 10 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
Membership secretary/vice chairman
Saffron Walden Constituency Labour Party