UTTLESFORD District Council is rightly basking in praise following its decision to turn down BAA s application for expansion at Stansted Airport. By rejecting the application, the council has highlighted the inconsistency that lies at the heart of the Go
UTTLESFORD District Council is rightly basking in praise following its decision to turn down BAA's application for expansion at Stansted Airport.
By rejecting the application, the council has highlighted the inconsistency that lies at the heart of the Government's policy on climate change.
But what the decision shows, above all, is that focussed and well coordinated opposition from people has to be taken into account by their locally elected representatives.
The role of Stop Stansted Expansion in galvanising public opinion, and in exposing the repeated disinformation spewed out by BAA's publicity machine, has been hugely important in mobilising the support now shown by so many parish, district and county councils for opposing BAA's plans.
You may also want to watch:
In the run-up to May's local elections, can all political parties accept the electorate will see through any campaign run along the lines of "we have done more than you in voicing concerns" - the kind of message that some locally elected representatives seem to want, in the press.
All concerned about
- 1 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 2 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 3 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 4 Spurs partnership with Walden clubs is a first in UK
- 5 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on July 29, 2021
- 6 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 7 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 8 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 9 £7.5 million cash package sought for new A120 business park
- 10 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100
BAA's expansion plans are in this together, and no individual party has any right to claim either possession of the Stansted issue or to suggest that it has taken the lead in getting us to where we are today.