WHEN I heard about Hanley Grange I thought it was announcing a lost masterpiece by Jane Austen. But it emerges it s an eco-town to be plonked down on farmland in an elongated triangle, absorbing Hinxton Grange and stretching from Stump Cross to Pampisfo
WHEN I heard about Hanley Grange I thought it was announcing a lost masterpiece by Jane Austen. But it emerges it's an 'eco-town' to be plonked down on farmland in an elongated triangle, absorbing Hinxton Grange and stretching from Stump Cross to Pampisford and Abington.
Why have greedy developers been allowed to buy all requisite land and apparently bypass normal planning procedures?
Recently it was announced the Government wants to give the right to overrule all local authorities and to speed up any development reckoned to be of sufficient importance - new towns and very conveniently, airports. Thus powerful bodies like Tesco will combine with Whitehall to do what they like without the necessity to consult the local councils and poor local population.
Hanley will have few, if any, garages. It will be 'biker friendly'. I should applaud this as I cycle, but the intention to thatch some dwellings makes me wonder... how terribly quaint, but is all this realistic or simply an exercise? Will Hanley's houses be built as thoroughly 'green' as, say, Sworders' revolutionary new HQ? Any minimal 'savings' made by Hanley will be cancelled out by our very own dear Stansted Airport.
It's a con thought up by some committee to give this wretched government a 'green face'. I can see the little wind 'turbinettes' atop twee houses in 'Nettle Soup Avenue' - they will look like Davey Cameron's on his house in North London which annoy his neighbours.
He is apparently descended from William IV, our silliest king, so what can one expect? Eco-town indeed.
- 1 Sir Tom Jones stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 2 IN PICTURES: Elbow's Heritage Live headline concert at Audley End House and Gardens
- 3 IN PICTURES: Simple Minds kick off this year's Heritage Live concerts at Audley End House & Gardens
- 4 Celebrity MasterChef 2022: Saffron Walden's Cliff Parisi battles Chris Eubank in kitchen contest
- 5 'Group of youths' set fire to football ground in Saffron Walden
- 6 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 7 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 8 Elbow stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 9 Have your say on plan to build 233 homes in Saffron Walden
- 10 Benkenstein bags six of the best as Essex Eagles thrash Glamorgan
J Howarth, Debden Road, Saffron Walden