Historic centre falls under developer
IT WOULD appear that Saffron Walden Business Forum and Town Mayor Hilary Shibata are apprehensive about the future of Saffron Walden (Reporter March 8). So are a lot of other people – myself included! If they are so concerned why didn t they speak out ea
IT WOULD appear that Saffron Walden Business Forum and Town Mayor Hilary Shibata are apprehensive about the future of Saffron Walden (Reporter March 8).
So are a lot of other people - myself included! If they are so concerned why didn't they speak out earlier about the historic centre falling into the hands of a property developer?
Are they so naive as to think that Philip Davies and The Monument Group really care about the town?
They have come to Saffron Walden to make money. No doubt they will contribute to the community by responding to a little arm-twisting on behalf of local charities.
You may also want to watch:
But just so long as it doesn't cost too much and their photos appear in the press holding a cheque, grinning like crocodiles awaiting the arrival of the next shipwrecked sailor.
Far from breathing new life into the town, they will turn it into a desert of down-market dumps by charging uneconomic rents that no small business can possibly sustain.
- 1 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 2 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 3 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 4 Essex Austin Seven Club takes in Saffron Walden on tour
- 5 Saffron Striders enjoy lots of choice with Great North Run the main event
- 6 Circuit star William Gilbank sets sights on professional sport
- 7 Appeal to find Stansted teen, missing for five days
- 8 Saffron Walden all set for big green festival
- 9 'It feels brilliant to be back' - Aladdin announced as Cambridge Arts Theatre's full-scale Christmas pantomime
- 10 Saffron Walden triathletes doing themselves and their clubs proud at championships
Wake up Mrs Shibata and Saffron Walden Business Forum and face reality. As for the town council - where were they?
I do not believe one member was present at the recent meeting held by the business forum on March 22.
When all the damage has been done - and it soon will be - no doubt they will start bleating about preserving the heritage of the town.