IT LOOKS as if it might be the calm before the storm at Stansted. All quiet on the runway front? The long awaited plan for G2, much delayed is yet to be given its fanfare – will it be a full monty with a vengeance or most likely a revised friendly, small
IT LOOKS as if it might be the calm before the storm at Stansted. All quiet on the runway front?
The long awaited plan for G2, much delayed is yet to be given its fanfare - will it be a full monty with a vengeance or most likely a revised friendly, smaller, runway-lite.
Are existing communities to be bulldozed in the 'national interest'? Funnily enough BAA has yet to get permission for increased use of the existing runway.
Perhaps they hope that in the end the insane dream of the 60s will materialise - four runways and millions of eager passengers every year, the whole country in the air, flying 24seven with the sky the limit?
Maybe the empire won't exactly strike back... maybe more delay and good old British fudge with BAA as a less agreeable version of Mr Toad, burrowing away hoping no one will notice.
We all know what happened when Mr Toad took to the air?
- 1 Wenden Junior Cricket Club embrace new cricket season
- 2 Saffron Walden draw positives at Witham
- 3 How well do you know the Gibson Library?
- 4 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 5 Committee and president appointed for Elsenham WI
- 6 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 7 Solar farm application decision is deferred
- 8 Uttlesford new development could be triple the size of one refused
- 9 Post Office: change of location in Newport
- 10 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
Ah, think of those endless golf courses, car parks, themed shopping malls where once there were quiet beloved fields. Maybe Hatfield forest will become a Disneyland complete with talking fungi?
The damage done, extravagant BAA may be broken up. Too late I fear while government and time serving politicians will bleat "it's not our fault... it's the other chaps".