IT LOOKS as if it might be the calm before the storm at Stansted. All quiet on the runway front? The long awaited plan for G2, much delayed is yet to be given its fanfare – will it be a full monty with a vengeance or most likely a revised friendly, small
IT LOOKS as if it might be the calm before the storm at Stansted. All quiet on the runway front?
The long awaited plan for G2, much delayed is yet to be given its fanfare - will it be a full monty with a vengeance or most likely a revised friendly, smaller, runway-lite.
Are existing communities to be bulldozed in the 'national interest'? Funnily enough BAA has yet to get permission for increased use of the existing runway.
Perhaps they hope that in the end the insane dream of the 60s will materialise - four runways and millions of eager passengers every year, the whole country in the air, flying 24seven with the sky the limit?
You may also want to watch:
Maybe the empire won't exactly strike back... maybe more delay and good old British fudge with BAA as a less agreeable version of Mr Toad, burrowing away hoping no one will notice.
We all know what happened when Mr Toad took to the air?
- 1 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 2 M11 targeted in week of motorway protests
- 3 Covid booster jab sessions due to start at Lord Butler
- 4 Andy Scott's Chornic Kidney Disease story
- 5 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 6 Astronomy: What to look for in the sky this September
- 7 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 8 Reflections: A World War One soldier who was killed in battle
- 9 Appeal to find Stansted teen, missing for five days
- 10 Campaign aims to cut Essex roads deaths and series injuries to zero
Ah, think of those endless golf courses, car parks, themed shopping malls where once there were quiet beloved fields. Maybe Hatfield forest will become a Disneyland complete with talking fungi?
The damage done, extravagant BAA may be broken up. Too late I fear while government and time serving politicians will bleat "it's not our fault... it's the other chaps".