IN UTTLESFORD it seems the party officials are taking over from elected and accountable representatives. Howard Rolfe tells us Tory county councillors listen to our views about the street light switch-off. But who is Mr Rolfe? He is the local constituency
IN UTTLESFORD it seems the party officials are taking over from elected and accountable representatives.
Howard Rolfe tells us Tory county councillors listen to our views about the street light switch-off. But who is Mr Rolfe? He is the local constituency chairman for the Conservatives; a party man with no elected public office or accountability.
Mr Rolfe tells us (Postbag January 4) that ECC has consulted with councils on the lighting trial. Yet it was the real leading light, Tory Cllr Rodney Bass, who failed to turn up at a meeting at county hall to which he had invited Uttlesford Lib Dem district members to hear his scheme explained. Yet a few days earlier Cllr Bass held a private meeting with Uttlesford Tories to spell out his plans without open dialogue afterwards.
The switch off is called a trial. Last week I wrote to Stansted's county councillor and asked against what criteria the 'trial' would be judged a success or a failure. His response was saving money is the main criterion. Well, as less light means less electricity means less money, I think we know the answer is automatic success.
You may also want to watch:
So why pretend this is a trial. It is an imposition by the county council cabinet
Cllr Alan Dean
- 1 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
- 2 Caught on camera: Motorcyclist feared for life in near-miss
- 3 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled
- 4 Walden Wombles hold their first litter pick
- 5 In pictures: Medieval landmark Walden Castle is restored
- 6 New outreach Post Office for community
- 7 Mental health trust fined following 11 deaths
- 8 New interim chief executive for district council
- 9 The number of Indian variant Covid cases in Uttlesford
- 10 Crematorium to broadcast Father's Day service
Member for Stansted Mountfitchet
Uttlesford District Council