IN UTTLESFORD it seems the party officials are taking over from elected and accountable representatives. Howard Rolfe tells us Tory county councillors listen to our views about the street light switch-off. But who is Mr Rolfe? He is the local constituency
IN UTTLESFORD it seems the party officials are taking over from elected and accountable representatives.
Howard Rolfe tells us Tory county councillors listen to our views about the street light switch-off. But who is Mr Rolfe? He is the local constituency chairman for the Conservatives; a party man with no elected public office or accountability.
Mr Rolfe tells us (Postbag January 4) that ECC has consulted with councils on the lighting trial. Yet it was the real leading light, Tory Cllr Rodney Bass, who failed to turn up at a meeting at county hall to which he had invited Uttlesford Lib Dem district members to hear his scheme explained. Yet a few days earlier Cllr Bass held a private meeting with Uttlesford Tories to spell out his plans without open dialogue afterwards.
The switch off is called a trial. Last week I wrote to Stansted's county councillor and asked against what criteria the 'trial' would be judged a success or a failure. His response was saving money is the main criterion. Well, as less light means less electricity means less money, I think we know the answer is automatic success.
You may also want to watch:
So why pretend this is a trial. It is an imposition by the county council cabinet
Cllr Alan Dean
- 1 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 2 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 3 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 4 Circuit star William Gilbank sets sights on professional sport
- 5 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 6 Essex Austin Seven Club takes in Saffron Walden on tour
- 7 Appeal to find Stansted teen, missing for five days
- 8 Saffron Walden triathletes doing themselves and their clubs proud at championships
- 9 More restrictions set to be scrapped in Boris Johnson's winter Covid plan
- 10 Saffron Walden all set for big green festival
Member for Stansted Mountfitchet
Uttlesford District Council