I DID enjoy Mr Norman Wells letter in last week s Reporter as he recounted his voyage into eco-land (The Carbon Footprint Show). Sadly, like many tourists, reality is a little different to his view. Firstly, energy-efficient light bulbs or Compact Flu
I DID enjoy Mr Norman Wells' letter in last week's Reporter as he recounted his voyage into 'eco-land' (The Carbon Footprint Show). Sadly, like many tourists, reality is a little different to his view.
Firstly, energy-efficient light bulbs or Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs). Life has moved on from the ones which 'don't go in any of your fittings, take an age to warm up and give a harsh white fluorescent light'.
The new ones come with many different fittings, come to full brightness virtually immediately and you can obtain ones, which give a more flattering light.
Incidentally they now only take just over a minute to warrant the initial start up energy and so can be used in places where they are switched on and off frequently. (Go to www.nef.org.uk/energyadvice/lighting for more information)
More important, though, was his point about China commissioning new power stations.
I agree many developing countries such as China and India are contributing greatly to global warming but how can we encourage them to adopt a more environmentally friendly policy if we are not willing to at least switch to CFLs?
- 1 Essex parents fear return to remote lessons amid school staff shortage
- 2 Proposed law which sparked Saffron Walden protests suffers House of Lords defeat
- 3 Fire and ambulance crews rescue after serious M11 crash
- 4 Essex Young Farmers celebrate Plough Sunday with Thaxted tractor run
- 5 Walden author unveils third book, with a touching dedication
- 6 Consultation on traffic in Walden's Market Square ends on Monday
- 7 Penalty heartbreak for Saffron Walden as FA Vase dreams come to an end
- 8 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 9 Things to do in Essex February 2022
- 10 Cambridge panto audiences raise £14k for charitable causes
The best way to make a difference is to lead by example.