Lights are on – but no-one’s at home
RATHER predictably, I have been criticised this week following my letter on global warming and what the individual can do about it, i.e. absolutely nothing. Tim Stone, for example, thinks that every one of us needs to help. However, the only constructive
RATHER predictably, I have been criticised this week following my letter on global warming and what the individual can do about it, i.e. absolutely nothing.
Tim Stone, for example, thinks that every one of us needs to help. However, the only constructive proposal he offers is giving China the latest carbon-reducing technology.
Of course, if I had any, I would. But sadly I don't actually have a nuclear power station to spare.
Otherwise, he implies we should cut our flights, but admits that flights only account for two per cent of UK carbon emissions, which as I pointed out are only two per cent of world emissions anyway.
Paul Garland of Uttlesford Local Agenda 21, on the other hand, seems largely to agree with me that we in Saffron Walden can do nothing of any significance, even by cutting emissions to zero, though he does say we should do it anyway to send a message to Government that we care.
But the Government we can influence was actually persuaded many years ago. It's why we signed up to and are bound by the 1997 Kyoto Treaty on climate change, unlike the overwhelming and massively-polluting USA, China and India.
- 1 Uttlesford District Council row over £4m 'black hole'
- 2 Plan to ease congestion at M11 junction 8 gets underway
- 3 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 4 In pictures: Burns Night at Walden's The Railway Arms
- 5 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 6 Stansted Airport boss confident that passenger numbers will rally
- 7 Walden's Wizard of Oz snowflake trail winner is crowned
- 8 Radical women of Saffron Walden walking tour
- 9 Cambridge Literary Festival is back with first names announced for spring 2022 showpiece
- 10 Suspected crowbar assault leaves Stansted driver with serious injuries
If they do nothing, as seems likely, the truth is that anything we do in the UK is as futile as baling out the Titanic with an eggcup.