Lights are on – but no-one’s at home
RATHER predictably, I have been criticised this week following my letter on global warming and what the individual can do about it, i.e. absolutely nothing. Tim Stone, for example, thinks that every one of us needs to help. However, the only constructive
RATHER predictably, I have been criticised this week following my letter on global warming and what the individual can do about it, i.e. absolutely nothing.
Tim Stone, for example, thinks that every one of us needs to help. However, the only constructive proposal he offers is giving China the latest carbon-reducing technology.
Of course, if I had any, I would. But sadly I don't actually have a nuclear power station to spare.
Otherwise, he implies we should cut our flights, but admits that flights only account for two per cent of UK carbon emissions, which as I pointed out are only two per cent of world emissions anyway.
You may also want to watch:
Paul Garland of Uttlesford Local Agenda 21, on the other hand, seems largely to agree with me that we in Saffron Walden can do nothing of any significance, even by cutting emissions to zero, though he does say we should do it anyway to send a message to Government that we care.
But the Government we can influence was actually persuaded many years ago. It's why we signed up to and are bound by the 1997 Kyoto Treaty on climate change, unlike the overwhelming and massively-polluting USA, China and India.
- 1 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 2 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 3 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 4 Essex Austin Seven Club takes in Saffron Walden on tour
- 5 Saffron Striders enjoy lots of choice with Great North Run the main event
- 6 Circuit star William Gilbank sets sights on professional sport
- 7 Appeal to find Stansted teen, missing for five days
- 8 Saffron Walden all set for big green festival
- 9 'It feels brilliant to be back' - Aladdin announced as Cambridge Arts Theatre's full-scale Christmas pantomime
- 10 Saffron Walden triathletes doing themselves and their clubs proud at championships
If they do nothing, as seems likely, the truth is that anything we do in the UK is as futile as baling out the Titanic with an eggcup.