Make sure you vote at local elections
Further to Jean Gumbrell s letter last week ( Historic centre falls under the developer , Reporter, April 7), there is, coming up, a chance to do something to ensure the situation does not recur. Next month, new councillors will be elected to local counci
Further to Jean Gumbrell's letter last week ('Historic centre falls under the developer', Reporter, April 7), there is, coming up, a chance to do something to ensure the situation does not recur.
Next month, new councillors will be elected to local councils and the bottom line to these planning controversies is to elect into office those councillors who, voters feel, will protect their historic town centres and the countryside surrounding them.
So when those election addresses come round from the various parties, don't just bin them - I know I used to - but actually read them, maybe even ask your candidates how they feel about certain issues like developing Saffron Walden Town Centre, and then make a point of going out on Thursday May 3 and putting a cross in the box next to the name of the candidate you feel will best represent you.
There are several contentious issues coming up, things like fortnightly collections of rubbish and, of course, increases in the dreaded council tax.
You may also want to watch:
It is very easy for residents to write letters to the press and otherwise complain but anyone who does not vote at these local elections loses the right to complain about planning applications or any other decision reached by local councils.
Name and address supplied
- 1 Tracking Covid at the Sanger Institute
- 2 Covid-19 breaches at Stansted Airport
- 3 Saffron Walden constituency MP on the road map out of lockdown
- 4 Awards for pandemic heroes launched
- 5 Containerlift supports laughter and supply chains
- 6 Essex: Climate change top priority for residents
- 7 District council is not investing in arms trade, say councillors
- 8 Contractors arrive for £1.25m sports facility works
- 9 Fun for virtual World Book Day 2021
- 10 Film festival to screen heart-warming movie as part of online series