Market Square plans
THE public consultation exercise on options for Saffron Walden Market Square, which has just been launched, will hopefully prove to be a well-supported and constructive exercise in local democracy. However, having developed the Option C proposal over the
THE public consultation exercise on options for Saffron Walden Market Square, which has just been launched, will hopefully prove to be a well-supported and constructive exercise in local democracy.
However, having developed the Option C proposal over the last three years as part of a wider feasibility study funded by Uttlesford Futures, I am concerned that the current Saffron Walden Town Council has not shown impartiality in its final editing of Option C's presentation in the consultation leaflet.
In particular, your readers should be aware that:
The use of manually retractable bollards allows the whole square to be opened up for pedestrians during Saturday and Tuesday general markets as well as special events.
You may also want to watch:
On non-market days, it is the only option which simultaneously prevents the polluting 'musical chairs' of cars circling the square and provides a pedestrian space for community or commercial activity, whilst maintaining access to blue badge parking spaces (increased by 4), delivery and loading bays for businesses and banks and 16 short-term parking bays.
It is the most expensive option but has been fully discussed with all authorities and has priority funding agreed in principle with the Essex County Council Highways authority for experimental implementation in 2008-2009 if there is support for the scheme.
- 1 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on June 24, 2021
- 2 Motion of no confidence - may be held behind closed doors
- 3 In pictures: Success for Fête de la Musique 2021
- 4 Two teachers smash fundraising target in charity cycle challenge
- 5 Time to teach 'pandemic puppies' new tricks, charity says
- 6 In pictures: Medieval landmark Walden Castle is restored
- 7 Reader survey: Will we ever shake hands again?
- 8 Why we refer to 'a pair' of knickers
- 9 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled
- 10 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
John Ready, on behalf of Saffron Walden Initiative