Monopoly on parking
I would like to comment that Stansted is one of the very few airports where the airport operator effectively has a monopoly on parking. BAA owns all the car parking spaces on the airport and there is no off-airport car parking at Stansted, thanks to the
I would like to comment that Stansted is one of the very few airports where the airport operator effectively has a monopoly on parking.
BAA owns all the car parking spaces on the airport and there is no off-airport car parking at Stansted, thanks to the efforts of local authorities to stop people offering parking on their land.
As any economist will tell you, with a monopoly comes the ability to charge prices higher than would be the case if there was competition, and as a result Stansted generates more funds from car parking than it does from landing charges.
Any commercial operator of Stansted will always seek to maximise the use of the car-parking facilities as a priority over any other form of transport to and from the airport. Whether or not BAA actually does this is for others to judge.
You may also want to watch:
Neil Baylis, Thorn Grove, Bishop's Stortford
- 1 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 2 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 5 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 6 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 7 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 8 Thaxted flash flooding the 'worst in 30 years', says councillor
- 9 Saffron Walden Motor Show set for 2021 return
- 10 In pictures: Saffron Walden Round Table's Big Day Out