Monopoly on parking
I would like to comment that Stansted is one of the very few airports where the airport operator effectively has a monopoly on parking. BAA owns all the car parking spaces on the airport and there is no off-airport car parking at Stansted, thanks to the
I would like to comment that Stansted is one of the very few airports where the airport operator effectively has a monopoly on parking.
BAA owns all the car parking spaces on the airport and there is no off-airport car parking at Stansted, thanks to the efforts of local authorities to stop people offering parking on their land.
As any economist will tell you, with a monopoly comes the ability to charge prices higher than would be the case if there was competition, and as a result Stansted generates more funds from car parking than it does from landing charges.
Any commercial operator of Stansted will always seek to maximise the use of the car-parking facilities as a priority over any other form of transport to and from the airport. Whether or not BAA actually does this is for others to judge.
You may also want to watch:
Neil Baylis, Thorn Grove, Bishop's Stortford
- 1 Market Square event organisers "amazed" at popularity of dine-out event
- 2 Wiseman dynasty gets new star as 15-year-old Max hits first senior ton
- 3 New mayor, deputy mayor and leader appointed for town council
- 4 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 5 Walden teddy bear shop to relocate to new venue
- 6 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 7 Ex-prison governor on writing, retirement and baking at Angela Reed
- 8 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
- 9 Front garden VE Day display planned in Great Chesterford
- 10 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal