No funding from UDC
MS PAGE of Elmdon is mistaken in her claim regarding Uttlesford District Council s finances and Stop Stansted Expansion (SSE) ( Council in a critical state, letters, September 4). Although we are united with the council in our opposition to the creation
MS PAGE of Elmdon is mistaken in her claim regarding Uttlesford District Council's finances and Stop Stansted Expansion (SSE) ('Council in a critical state,' letters, September 4).
Although we are united with the council in our opposition to the creation of a second runway at Stansted which would devastate the local area and inflict noise from overflying on those living across the region, SSE is not in receipt of any funding from UDC.
Similarly, she seems confused about SSE's objective, which is not to stop people flying but to contain the development of Stansted Airport within tight limits that are truly sustainable and, in this way, to protect the quality of life of residents over wide areas of Essex, Hertfordshire and Suffolk, to preserve our heritage and to protect the natural environment.
Nevertheless, whether for financial or environmental reasons, many people have rethought their travel plans and are not flying from the airport.
You may also want to watch:
Stansted's passenger numbers have fallen every month since last October.
Carol Barbone, SSE campaign director, PO Box 311, Takeley, CM22 6PY
- 1 Saffron Walden constituency MP on the road map out of lockdown
- 2 Tracking Covid at the Sanger Institute
- 3 Buses replace trains while train tracks are replaced
- 4 Quakers ask district council to reverse decision as investment row continues
- 5 Awards for pandemic heroes launched
- 6 Contractors arrive for £1.25m sports facility works
- 7 Summer holiday catch-up classes among ideas being raised
- 8 Electric cars for SMT GB staff
- 9 Gordon's 'fiver for a jab' fundraiser for NHS
- 10 Long recycling centre queues into the road 'nearly cause accident'