No funding from UDC
MS PAGE of Elmdon is mistaken in her claim regarding Uttlesford District Council s finances and Stop Stansted Expansion (SSE) ( Council in a critical state, letters, September 4). Although we are united with the council in our opposition to the creation
MS PAGE of Elmdon is mistaken in her claim regarding Uttlesford District Council's finances and Stop Stansted Expansion (SSE) ('Council in a critical state,' letters, September 4).
Although we are united with the council in our opposition to the creation of a second runway at Stansted which would devastate the local area and inflict noise from overflying on those living across the region, SSE is not in receipt of any funding from UDC.
Similarly, she seems confused about SSE's objective, which is not to stop people flying but to contain the development of Stansted Airport within tight limits that are truly sustainable and, in this way, to protect the quality of life of residents over wide areas of Essex, Hertfordshire and Suffolk, to preserve our heritage and to protect the natural environment.
Nevertheless, whether for financial or environmental reasons, many people have rethought their travel plans and are not flying from the airport.
You may also want to watch:
Stansted's passenger numbers have fallen every month since last October.
Carol Barbone, SSE campaign director, PO Box 311, Takeley, CM22 6PY
- 1 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 2 Affinity Water to resume water softening in Saffron Walden
- 3 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 4 Ipswich man charged in connection with Cheshunt rail incident
- 5 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 6 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 7 Essex BMX star wins Olympic gold
- 8 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 9 Saffron Walden Motor Show set for 2021 return
- 10 Beth Shriever talks Tokyo: 'I'm proof that you can make it'