No funding from UDC
MS PAGE of Elmdon is mistaken in her claim regarding Uttlesford District Council s finances and Stop Stansted Expansion (SSE) ( Council in a critical state, letters, September 4). Although we are united with the council in our opposition to the creation
MS PAGE of Elmdon is mistaken in her claim regarding Uttlesford District Council's finances and Stop Stansted Expansion (SSE) ('Council in a critical state,' letters, September 4).
Although we are united with the council in our opposition to the creation of a second runway at Stansted which would devastate the local area and inflict noise from overflying on those living across the region, SSE is not in receipt of any funding from UDC.
Similarly, she seems confused about SSE's objective, which is not to stop people flying but to contain the development of Stansted Airport within tight limits that are truly sustainable and, in this way, to protect the quality of life of residents over wide areas of Essex, Hertfordshire and Suffolk, to preserve our heritage and to protect the natural environment.
Nevertheless, whether for financial or environmental reasons, many people have rethought their travel plans and are not flying from the airport.
You may also want to watch:
Stansted's passenger numbers have fallen every month since last October.
Carol Barbone, SSE campaign director, PO Box 311, Takeley, CM22 6PY
- 1 Tools collection is a huge success
- 2 Revealed: images of new hospital that aims to be carbon neutral
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 A Big Deal for Fairycroft House as comedy club makes comeback
- 5 Fête de la Musique returns to Walden - with nine music venues
- 6 Ibiza legend Dave Pearce and Clockwork Orange Andy Manston at garden party
- 7 Saffron Walden constituency could change shape in boundary review
- 8 Freedom Day has been delayed by up to four weeks
- 9 Motorcyclist in hospital after Broxted collision
- 10 Things to do in June - from open gardens to live music and dancing