No funding from UDC
MS PAGE of Elmdon is mistaken in her claim regarding Uttlesford District Council s finances and Stop Stansted Expansion (SSE) ( Council in a critical state, letters, September 4). Although we are united with the council in our opposition to the creation
MS PAGE of Elmdon is mistaken in her claim regarding Uttlesford District Council's finances and Stop Stansted Expansion (SSE) ('Council in a critical state,' letters, September 4).
Although we are united with the council in our opposition to the creation of a second runway at Stansted which would devastate the local area and inflict noise from overflying on those living across the region, SSE is not in receipt of any funding from UDC.
Similarly, she seems confused about SSE's objective, which is not to stop people flying but to contain the development of Stansted Airport within tight limits that are truly sustainable and, in this way, to protect the quality of life of residents over wide areas of Essex, Hertfordshire and Suffolk, to preserve our heritage and to protect the natural environment.
Nevertheless, whether for financial or environmental reasons, many people have rethought their travel plans and are not flying from the airport.
You may also want to watch:
Stansted's passenger numbers have fallen every month since last October.
Carol Barbone, SSE campaign director, PO Box 311, Takeley, CM22 6PY
- 1 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 2 Revealed: why some Uttlesford car park machines no longer take cash
- 3 Walden war historian on the inspiration behind his latest book
- 4 Emergency funding for Essex care homes amid 'acute' staff shortages
- 5 Affinity in hot water with residents after sediment build-up in homes
- 6 First birthday celebrations for Railway Arms in community ownership
- 7 Official opening held for new air ambulance base
- 8 Award-winning jazz singer Clare Teal and her sextet to play concert at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 9 County council promises arts boost for Essex
- 10 Walden's Crocus Medical Practice opens within community hospital