Open door policy
TAKE a look outside your window and agree with me that it is cold and very rainy today. Then go down the high street in Saffron Walden leading out of the Market Square and look at the number of stores who leave their doors wide open. I was just in Cli
TAKE a look outside your window and agree with me that it is cold and very rainy today.
Then go down the high street in Saffron Walden leading out of the Market Square and look at the number of stores who leave their doors wide open.
I was just in Clifton's and both doors were wide open, it was decidedly cold in there and I could hear the heaters going full blast.
I questioned the saleslady and she said: "I hate to say this, but it is Clifton's policy that the doors are always open. Our sales drop if we close the doors because people can't be bothered to come into a shop if they have to open doors."
You may also want to watch:
I thought this was some kind of joke, but upon walking back up the street to the Market Square, sure enough over half the shops had their doors open.
My next thought is that in order to meet the high cost of heating the shops HAVE to increase their prices to pay for huge utility bills. Starbucks got it in the neck a few weeks ago with their ludicrous defence of running water, but it seems that stupidity runs rampant throughout the retail sector.
- 1 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 2 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 3 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 4 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 5 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 6 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 7 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 8 Saffron Striders' Mark Coutts runs from Paddington to Bristol instead of letting the train take the strain
- 9 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 10 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
Judith Basham, Shudy Camps