Police took wrong rave option
ARE others in the town as concerned as we are about the huge police force required to disperse a party of young people? Other parents have expressed their concern regarding this extraordinary use of police power. It was a shocking sight to see the number
ARE others in the town as concerned as we are about the huge police force required to disperse a party of young people?
Other parents have expressed their concern regarding this extraordinary use of police power. It was a shocking sight to see the number of riot vans and cars preparing to break up this illegal gathering.
These raves happen all over the country, and indeed all over Europe every weekend. Most are policed with a couple of patrol cars ensuring that every one arrives and leaves safely.
Had they left the revellers alone, it is likely that nothing would have happened apart from a disgruntled farmer and a muddy field. Bin bags had already been distributed for the rubbish.
You may also want to watch:
The youngsters say that the police were very heavy- handed, some witnessed their friends being hit with truncheons. These are the same young people whose excellent exam results we have seen recently celebrated, many from Saffron Walden.
When we phoned the police station on Sunday lunchtime having no news of our son, we were told they had no lists of the injured or arrested, they simply did not have that information! We were also told we could not go to the site to find our son and his friends. We had to wait for news, which fortunately came soon after.
- 1 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 2 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 5 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 6 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 7 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 8 Thaxted flash flooding the 'worst in 30 years', says councillor
- 9 Saffron Walden Motor Show set for 2021 return
- 10 In pictures: Saffron Walden Round Table's Big Day Out
However, the biggest puzzle is that the police were politely directing queues of young people to the rave on Friday and Saturday night!
Even those who did not know that the party was on! Could they not have prevented access at this point? Parents (us included) dropping off youngsters, were waved in by the police. Was this to ensure that enough young people were at the rave to justify the police action?
M Watson and P Beattie