IT WAS entirely predictable that councillors on the Development Control Committee of Uttlesford District Council (UDC), eyeing future elections and representing the majority of the residents of Uttlesford, recently rejected the application for an extensio
IT WAS entirely predictable that councillors on the Development Control Committee of Uttlesford District Council (UDC), eyeing future elections and representing the majority of the residents of Uttlesford, recently rejected the application for an extension to the current runway at Stansted Airport.
No bookmaker would take my bet against a refusal of the application. The committee instead ducked and hid behind a variety of spurious reasons and its inability to defy misinformed populist demand.
This was despite the fact that passenger traffic (that's you and me) continues to rise as the demand for air travel increases and that the airport, situated in open countryside, is essential for the continued growth of this region and our country.
The Stop Stansted Expansion (SSE) campaign has always fought a strong and well meaning campaign, using all the tricks and earnest protestations available to it, the great 'environmental catastrophe bogeyman' being one, closely followed by 'excessive noise' and so on ad infinitum.
You may also want to watch:
I look forward to the next ploy which they will produce from their bottomless bag to fuel further protest and debate.
Meanwhile, the M11 motorway and the A120 stand as monuments to central government planning, speeding traffic across the region and disgorging an ever increasing number of travellers into the airport's portals to receive an equal amount in return.
- 1 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 2 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 3 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 4 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 5 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 6 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 7 No end of the line in sight for Audley End CrossCountry cancellations
- 8 Things to do on the May Bank Holiday weekend: Essex gardens are open
- 9 Back to the drawing board for Radwinter Road retirement homes
- 10 Audley End Miniature Railway celebrates a lockdown easing sellout
This is a testament to the utilitarian value of the airport and its economic benefit to the region of Essex and the United Kingdom.
I now read that the SSE 'hobbyists,' for that's what they are, are seeking £100,000 for a fighting fund to represent those parts of the community who support them. I expect that UDC, mindful of their seats, will also allocate scarce financial resources.
The lawyers, analysts, so- called experts in the new science of 'doom mongering' will be rubbing their hands and ordering the latest 4x4 as they continue to confuse, misinform and appeal to the sentiment of gullible Uttlesford residents.
So please, do not come calling with your begging bowls to me. I do not work there and have no other interest in Stansted, but support its expansion and the second runway - it's called progress.
Anthony Robertson Arkesden