Protect our communities
RECENTLY, Tom Harris MP said that he did not understand why, as a nation, we are all so bloody miserable when we are relatively well off. The reason for our misery is that our government believes that national wealth alone determines our happiness. But
RECENTLY, Tom Harris MP said that he did not understand why, as a nation, we are all "so bloody miserable" when we are relatively well off.
The reason for our misery is that our government believes that national wealth alone determines our happiness. But happiness depends on much more than this.
Having strong, vibrant, secure communities makes us happy. And having a sense that the government is on our side, rather than riding rough-shod over us, would also make us happy.
But this government does whatever it wishes, with total disregard for communities - always with the excuse of maintaining a "strong economy".
You may also want to watch:
In our own region, the government, hand-in-glove with BAA, has unleashed its appalling plans for expansion at Stansted Airport, and vast regional development will follow. This is set to devastate communities far beyond the airport boundary.
In short, it's a miserable business having a government that knows the price of everything and the value of absolutely nothing.
- 1 Saffron Walden constituency MP on the road map out of lockdown
- 2 Tracking Covid at the Sanger Institute
- 3 Covid-19 breaches at Stansted Airport
- 4 Awards for pandemic heroes launched
- 5 Containerlift supports laughter and supply chains
- 6 Essex: Climate change top priority for residents
- 7 District council is not investing in arms trade, say councillors
- 8 Buses replace trains while train tracks are replaced
- 9 Fun for virtual World Book Day 2021
- 10 Quakers ask district council to reverse decision as investment row continues
Miss AJ Kurton, Spring Hills, Harlow, Essex