Protect our communities
RECENTLY, Tom Harris MP said that he did not understand why, as a nation, we are all so bloody miserable when we are relatively well off. The reason for our misery is that our government believes that national wealth alone determines our happiness. But
RECENTLY, Tom Harris MP said that he did not understand why, as a nation, we are all "so bloody miserable" when we are relatively well off.
The reason for our misery is that our government believes that national wealth alone determines our happiness. But happiness depends on much more than this.
Having strong, vibrant, secure communities makes us happy. And having a sense that the government is on our side, rather than riding rough-shod over us, would also make us happy.
But this government does whatever it wishes, with total disregard for communities - always with the excuse of maintaining a "strong economy".
In our own region, the government, hand-in-glove with BAA, has unleashed its appalling plans for expansion at Stansted Airport, and vast regional development will follow. This is set to devastate communities far beyond the airport boundary.
In short, it's a miserable business having a government that knows the price of everything and the value of absolutely nothing.
- 1 Toaster joy: Radwinter Repair Cafe to the rescue
- 2 The Silver Wolf, highest Scouting honour, for Neville Wilson
- 3 4 inspirational women are celebrated in Newport
- 4 Hands-on archaeology, beacons and picnics: Platinum Jubilee
- 5 Obituary: On-call firefighter dedicated life to community
- 6 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 7 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Silent auction, live music, collection: Ukraine support
Miss AJ Kurton, Spring Hills, Harlow, Essex