Protect our communities
RECENTLY, Tom Harris MP said that he did not understand why, as a nation, we are all so bloody miserable when we are relatively well off. The reason for our misery is that our government believes that national wealth alone determines our happiness. But
RECENTLY, Tom Harris MP said that he did not understand why, as a nation, we are all "so bloody miserable" when we are relatively well off.
The reason for our misery is that our government believes that national wealth alone determines our happiness. But happiness depends on much more than this.
Having strong, vibrant, secure communities makes us happy. And having a sense that the government is on our side, rather than riding rough-shod over us, would also make us happy.
But this government does whatever it wishes, with total disregard for communities - always with the excuse of maintaining a "strong economy".
You may also want to watch:
In our own region, the government, hand-in-glove with BAA, has unleashed its appalling plans for expansion at Stansted Airport, and vast regional development will follow. This is set to devastate communities far beyond the airport boundary.
In short, it's a miserable business having a government that knows the price of everything and the value of absolutely nothing.
- 1 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on June 24, 2021
- 2 In pictures: Success for Fête de la Musique 2021
- 3 Motion of no confidence - may be held behind closed doors
- 4 Two teachers smash fundraising target in charity cycle challenge
- 5 Time to teach 'pandemic puppies' new tricks, charity says
- 6 In pictures: Medieval landmark Walden Castle is restored
- 7 Why we refer to 'a pair' of knickers
- 8 When Covid-19 restrictions lift, will we ever shake hands again?
- 9 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled
- 10 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
Miss AJ Kurton, Spring Hills, Harlow, Essex