Protect our communities
RECENTLY, Tom Harris MP said that he did not understand why, as a nation, we are all so bloody miserable when we are relatively well off. The reason for our misery is that our government believes that national wealth alone determines our happiness. But
RECENTLY, Tom Harris MP said that he did not understand why, as a nation, we are all "so bloody miserable" when we are relatively well off.
The reason for our misery is that our government believes that national wealth alone determines our happiness. But happiness depends on much more than this.
Having strong, vibrant, secure communities makes us happy. And having a sense that the government is on our side, rather than riding rough-shod over us, would also make us happy.
But this government does whatever it wishes, with total disregard for communities - always with the excuse of maintaining a "strong economy".
You may also want to watch:
In our own region, the government, hand-in-glove with BAA, has unleashed its appalling plans for expansion at Stansted Airport, and vast regional development will follow. This is set to devastate communities far beyond the airport boundary.
In short, it's a miserable business having a government that knows the price of everything and the value of absolutely nothing.
- 1 An afternoon at the Proms for Mountfitchet House residents
- 2 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 3 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 4 Church praises members for 'fantastic' Harvest Time generosity
- 5 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 6 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 7 Jets and Falcons fly out of Stansted after their NFL London showdown
- 8 David Walliams’ Gangsta Granny coming to Cambridge stage
- 9 Tributes pour in after death of Essex MP Sir David Amess
- 10 Council to debate 'underperforming' planning service
Miss AJ Kurton, Spring Hills, Harlow, Essex