Individuals and businesses step forward to help with free school meals this half term
These are some of the businesses in our district that have offered to help ensure no child goes hungry during half term. If you know of others, get in touch.
Amber Wright of Darfranko’s Bakery in Takeley has been making fresh meals each day so children don’t go hungry in half term, for collection and delivery.
The meals have the option of vegetables and a fresh bread roll.
She has offered them to families in Saffron Walden, Takeley, Thaxted, Little Canfield, Stebbing, Felsted, Great Dunmow, Bishop’s Stortford and Harlow.
Businesses and individuals have been donating funds through her GoFundMe page to help support the costs.
She said: “As a parent myself the thought of any child going without a hot meal truly breaks my heart.”
She added: “I want to reassure these families that this is nothing to be ashamed of, help is there so please use it!”
- 1 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 2 Saffron Striders enjoy lots of choice with Great North Run the main event
- 3 Essex Austin Seven Club takes in Saffron Walden on tour
- 4 Saffron Walden all set for big green festival
- 5 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 6 Saffron Walden triathletes doing themselves and their clubs proud at championships
- 7 Peter Holt is appointed as the new district council chief executive
- 8 'It feels brilliant to be back' - Aladdin announced as Cambridge Arts Theatre's full-scale Christmas pantomime
- 9 Opera superstar opens world-class season of entertainment lined up at Saffron Hall
- 10 Your pictures as Essex goes 'Back to School'
Contact her on email via firstname.lastname@example.org or text 07534817914.
n Saffron Walden Fish and Chips takeaway on High Street are offering a child’s meal.
Message them on Facebook and they will arrange it for you discreetly.
n Bicicletta cycling cafe on Market Walk, Saffron Walden, are offering a kid’s packed lunch for children who normally get a free school meal.
Take a post-it note from the door and swap it for a meal at the counter. No other purchase is necessary.
n Saffron Fish Co on George Street are offering free fish to any parents who are struggling to provide a half term child’s meal.
Message them via Facebook and they will let you know when to collect it.
n The Facebook page Saffron Walden and Villages Meal Share is offering to help parents who are struggling to provide a meal during half term by putting them in touch with available support. Message them and they will assist.
n Waffle and Co is at Pumpkin Jim’s this week. Take a post-it from the door and swap it for a kids’ pot today (Thursday) or tomorrow.
They are also offering a Pay It Forward scheme - if you want to gift a random act of kindnes to someone, pre-pay for a drink or treat for a stranger.
Ana, who runs the truck with Tori, said people have been taking part and leaving a treat for key workers.
Pay It Forward is on-going. They are serving at Off the Beaten Truck for Truck or Treat on Saturday on The Common, Saffron Walden from 4pm to 8pm. Ana said they also need your help - their streetfood truck has made it into the final five shortlist for the 2020 British Street Food Awards and they need votes before 3pm on November 1. This is the link.
n Angela Reed Cafe in Saffron Walden is offering free child lunches for half term.