Saturday market is a good idea
I DON T think a Saturday market selling locally produced fruit and veg will damage the current stallholders trade too much, after all, the produce grown locally is likely to be more expensive than the goods sold on the stalls. There are those people who
I DON'T think a Saturday market selling locally produced fruit and veg will damage the current stallholders' trade too much, after all, the produce grown locally is likely to be more expensive than the goods sold on the stalls.
There are those people who have to watch every penny and will go to the Tuesday and Saturday markets where they will find fruit and veg at an affordable price from the current stallholders.
But the town is fairly affluent and there are bound to be people who feel they should do their bit for the environment by paying a little more for food that has travelled fewer miles, and often such vegetables and fruit, because they haven't come so far, will have a much fresher and nicer flavour.
I hope the town council monitors the situation closely and if the new farmers' market seriously affects the regular marketers, then consideration is given to reversing the decision.
Until then I, for one, will be happy to browse both markets and the shopping centre when I come into the town.
Name and address supplied
- 1 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 2 Plans for 18 houses in Countryside Protection Zone near Stansted Airport
- 3 Police appeals into two Uttlesford incidents
- 4 Saffron Walden photographer's book a permanent record of life in a locked down town
- 5 Decision yet to be made on Saffron Walden's 20mph limit
- 6 Consultation on traffic in Walden's Market Square ends on Monday
- 7 In pictures: the cute animals in January's Pets' Corner
- 8 Essex parents fear return to remote lessons amid school staff shortage
- 9 Proposed law which sparked Saffron Walden protests suffers House of Lords defeat
- 10 Derby fun for Wendens Ambo as they brush off logistical headache