Teenager’s car is taken by officers
POLICE in Saffron Walden exercised new powers for the first time on Saturday, when they seized the vehicle of a youth who was driving in an antisocial manner. At 10pm on Saturday, a Volkswagen Golf was confiscated from a 17-year-old male in Ashdon Road. A
POLICE in Saffron Walden exercised new powers for the first time on Saturday, when they seized the vehicle of a youth who was driving in an antisocial manner.
At 10pm on Saturday, a Volkswagen Golf was confiscated from a 17-year-old male in Ashdon Road.
Another 17-year-old was warned about the way he was riding his motorcycle.
The driver and the motorbiker had revved their engines excessively, and raced each other and drove close to other road users.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokesman said: "This is in relation to The Police Reform Act 2002. It allows the police to give warnings to drivers who are driving in a careless or inconsiderate manner, or driving in a manner, which is causing, has been causing or is likely to cause alarm, distress or annoyance to members of the public.
"If the driving continues, we then have the power to seize the vehicle."
- 1 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 2 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 3 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 4 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 5 Q&A: Former Uttlesford District Council leader Howard Rolfe
- 6 4 English Heritage events to enjoy at Audley End this summer
- 7 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 8 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 9 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 10 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
The cost of retrieving the vehicle for the youth will be £105, plus £12-per-day storage costs, plus VAT.
The spokesman said: "Using a vehicle in an anti-social manner will not be tolerated in Saffron Walden and this is a clear message.