I DO not propose, personally, to take any action regarding over-population in the third world. My purpose is simply to point out that this is the major problem facing this planet today. The UN, from which my figures were taken, has now projected that, by
I DO not propose, personally, to take any action regarding over-population in the third world. My purpose is simply to point out that this is the major problem facing this planet today.
The UN, from which my figures were taken, has now projected that, by 2030, the population of the planet will increase to 8.3 billion i.e. it will have doubled in about 80 years with consequent pressure on resources of all sorts, particularly water. This is a frightening problem, which is being ignored.
At the moment we have no population control schemes, aside from the draconian system in China, planned for the third world and the crisis which is developing. The population explosion in the developed world took place as there was a significant demand for labour - we do not today approve of the circumstances but history cannot be changed.
The situation in the third world today is the exact converse. The population is increasing with little chance of employment, overstretched farming (usually by high inefficient traditional methods) and increasing reliance on the advanced nations to make up the difference.
Even if, despite there being no independent experimental verification and the failure to account for global temperature changes in the past (a prerequisite of veracity), the 'global warming due to carbon dioxide' argument is accepted then the numbers dictate that the biggest problem is too many humans.
What is urgently needed is a system whereby the population growth of the third world is reversed to the below replacement rate currently noted in the advanced world.
- 1 Uttlesford Local Plan delay 'necessary' say councillors
- 2 Debden man fundraising for Mind with 480km walk
- 3 Dane's 10 day walk home with only a backpack
- 4 Tea party celebrates Saffron Walden Museum volunteers
- 5 Teen arrested for 'terrorism offences' at Stansted Airport
- 6 Harmer haul helps Essex Eagles tame Sussex Sharks in VItality Blast
- 7 Essex Eagles hit Glamorgan hard in Vitality Blast best
- 8 How well do you know the Gibson Library?
- 9 The Railway Arms awarded CAMRA county pub of the year
- 10 Junior Fencer from Saffron Walden wins silver at England Championship