IN REPLY to Jean Gumbrell s letter about the pernicious developer invading our town, I think I can speak for the majority of the Business Forum in saying that we are all HORRIFIED at the prospect of our lovely shops being hijacked. The forum is powerless
IN REPLY to Jean Gumbrell's letter about the pernicious developer invading our town, I think I can speak for the majority of the Business Forum in saying that we are all HORRIFIED at the prospect of our lovely shops being hijacked.
The forum is powerless against the might of this developer and his amoral lawyers. As independent retailers we cannot pay the high rents the multiples will consider. This group apparently preys on small market towns as they are 'easy pickings', i.e. can't afford to put up a fight.
If the people of Saffron Walden don't want a clone town why aren't we hearing a massive collective outcry?
Our customers come from far and wide to visit an 'unusual' town centre - I myself have regulars from the US and Europe!
You may also want to watch:
We in the Business Forum are fighting with all we have to resist the 'big boys'; if we all boycotted the faceless "find-em-on-any-High-Street' names and supported local businesses they'd get the message.
The demise of Harts is the start of the slippery slope - the staff and service are exemplary and a HUGE loss to the town. I for one am heartbroken to see them go. Do you think you'll get the same exceptional service when it becomes W.H. Smith? DREAM ON!
- 1 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 2 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 3 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 4 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 5 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 6 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 7 No end of the line in sight for Audley End CrossCountry cancellations
- 8 Audley End Miniature Railway celebrates a lockdown easing sellout
- 9 Back to the drawing board for Radwinter Road retirement homes
- 10 Things to do on the May Bank Holiday weekend: Essex gardens are open
This development group are buying up as much of our town as they can and railroading us out of business or our premises.
Look at the changes already happening around you. Without mass support from our customers we are impotent - we need for you ALL to speak up.
If you love Walden as it is now say so! We all need to vote with our feet, wallets and voices otherwise it will be too late.
An independent retailer