THE withdrawal of funding from the TIC by Uttlesford Council must call for the sharpest response from the town council. If there is no way in which the decision can be reversed, then I hope that the town council will assume responsibility for this vital
THE withdrawal of funding from the TIC by Uttlesford Council must call for the sharpest response from the town council.
If there is no way in which the decision can be reversed, then I hope that the town council will assume responsibility for this vital part of the town's publicity machine. Tourism is vital to Saffron Walden, and the closure of the TIC would have devastating results.
Not only is the service invaluable for visitors but the centre provides many services for residents, which would be sorely missed (not least the sale of tickets for Saffron Screen).
There will of course be a funding problem, but I am sure that many residents and businesses will agree that an addition to the town council's portion of the council tax would be well justified for the preservation of the TIC.
No doubt you will receive many letters on this subject; I hope that you will be able to give some indication of the strength of feeling in the town by indicating the size of the response.
Gordon C Smith
- 1 Suspected crowbar assault leaves Stansted driver with serious injuries
- 2 Driver shortage leaves Walden pupil without school transport
- 3 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 4 Data reveals distracted drivers repeatedly caught in Essex
- 5 Solar farm planning application near Thaxted
- 6 Plans for 18 houses in Countryside Protection Zone near Stansted Airport
- 7 Police appeals into two Uttlesford incidents
- 8 easyJet: 'We don't have plans for more routes from Stansted'
- 9 Essex: More Electric Vehicles needed to meet goals
- 10 Saffron Walden youngsters show grit in defeat to Wymondham
Saffron Walden High Street