THE withdrawal of funding from the TIC by Uttlesford Council must call for the sharpest response from the town council. If there is no way in which the decision can be reversed, then I hope that the town council will assume responsibility for this vital
THE withdrawal of funding from the TIC by Uttlesford Council must call for the sharpest response from the town council.
If there is no way in which the decision can be reversed, then I hope that the town council will assume responsibility for this vital part of the town's publicity machine. Tourism is vital to Saffron Walden, and the closure of the TIC would have devastating results.
Not only is the service invaluable for visitors but the centre provides many services for residents, which would be sorely missed (not least the sale of tickets for Saffron Screen).
There will of course be a funding problem, but I am sure that many residents and businesses will agree that an addition to the town council's portion of the council tax would be well justified for the preservation of the TIC.
No doubt you will receive many letters on this subject; I hope that you will be able to give some indication of the strength of feeling in the town by indicating the size of the response.
Gordon C Smith
- 1 Teen arrested for 'terrorism offences' at Stansted Airport
- 2 Wenden Junior Cricket Club embrace new cricket season
- 3 The Railway Arms awarded CAMRA county pub of the year
- 4 How well do you know the Gibson Library?
- 5 Committee and president appointed for Elsenham WI
- 6 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 7 Uttlesford new development could be triple the size of one refused
- 8 Ben & Jerry's ice cream sold at Sainsbury's recalled due to health concerns
- 9 Saffron Walden draw positives at Witham
- 10 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
Saffron Walden High Street