We are clean
MR DAVID Jenkins calls on councillors to come clean over Uttlesford District Council s refusal of further growth in planes and passengers through Stansted s runway. The officer report recommended refusal on nine grounds, one of which was climate change
MR DAVID Jenkins calls on councillors to 'come clean' over Uttlesford District Council's refusal of further growth in planes and passengers through Stansted's runway.
The officer report recommended refusal on nine grounds, one of which was climate change.
The report did indeed say that it is not possible to show the direct impact on climate change of the extra millions of tonnes of carbon that would be emitted into the atmosphere from 40 per cent more planes using the airport had expansion been approved.
The Great London Smog of 1952 killed thousands of people. This led to the first Clean Air Act in 1956.
No chimney was exempted because it was difficult to identify the direct effect of each household chimney's smoke in killing which elderly person. But smoke from most chimneys was banned because its collective effect was to kill people.
The Environment secretary keeps saying 'climate change has changed everything' but to date the Government has failed totally to address how aviation must change to control global warming. Instead, the Government's forecast growth in aviation would mean its impact on climate change would become larger than most other sources.
- 1 'Group of youths' set fire to football ground in Saffron Walden
- 2 Sir Tom Jones stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 3 Stage times for Simple Minds' Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 4 Elbow stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 5 Items worth three-figure sum 'stolen' from Holland and Barrett
- 6 Have your say on plan to build 233 homes in Saffron Walden
- 7 IN PICTURES: Simple Minds kick off this year's Heritage Live concerts at Audley End House & Gardens
- 8 Saffron Walden Community Shed saves the day for charities in need
- 9 Set times for The Bootleg Beatles and From The Jam's Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 10 Uttlesford District Council to take part in energy rebate scheme
It took Government four years to get to grips with sulphur dioxide poisoning from smog some fifty years ago. Until today's Government gets to grips with carbon emissions from aeroplanes, Uttlesford is placing a brake on more greenhouse gases caused by Stansted airport. That's how we intend to 'come clean'.
Member for Stansted Mountfitchet
Chair of Stansted Airport Advisory Panel