We must find solutions
LIKE it or not, Yvonne Morton (Postbag Stansted August 21), made some valid points. I am concerned at the way this whole debate is being conducted; vitriolic personal attacks and trying to discredit the responsible Government ministers at every turn wi
LIKE it or not, Yvonne Morton (Postbag 'Stansted' August 21), made some valid points.
I am concerned at the way this whole debate is being conducted; vitriolic personal attacks and trying to discredit the responsible Government ministers at every turn will not win arguments.
Faced with the massive problems of global warming and pressures of population we must find solutions. It is vital for all new buildings to be eco-based. We should concentrate on where to place development with reason instead of abuse and misrepresentation.
I fully endorse the concept of eco towns and greener living, and accept the infrastructural advantages of placing major new housing in large groups. Should development proceed I would expect top priority be given to the needs of people already on our local housing lists and not to the labour I understand is being actively recruited by BAA and others abroad. This casts grave doubt on the need to create so many new jobs and attract so many new households from overseas; perhaps the recently leaked Conservative plan to halt regeneration in the north whilst "encouraging" the population there to move south will become justification!
You may also want to watch:
Essex and Cambridgeshire are already under extreme pressure. I am amazed that this devastation of productive land, the associated extraction of water and localised natural population growth it will generate could be considered environmentally sustainable.
It is obvious that further extraction of ground water and lowering of the water table will severely impact on farm and woodland alike.
- 1 'Do you enjoy singing and making new friends?' - Church holding taster session for its junior choir
- 2 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 3 Thaxted Gardening and Craft Show winners revealed
- 4 Saffron Walden actress Tamara Lee Smart to star as Marilyn Monroe for one night in rehearsed play reading
- 5 Hatfield Heath air disaster memorial 'a symbol of UK-US unity'
- 6 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 7 Cash boost for plan to plant 350,000 trees in Essex
- 8 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 9 Saffron Striders take advantage of late summer warmth to stretch their legs far and wide
- 10 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
Crops will become more susceptible to drought and trees will die. This gargantuan appetite for countryside is a recipe for environmental and humanitarian disaster.
C Gilbey, Saffron Walden