Well done to the town’s football club
SAFFRON Walden Football Club is going from strength to strength. I have been watching the club for some 34 years and during that time Saffron Walden have had some good teams. But the display during the first half of our game on February 24 against Cornar
SAFFRON Walden Football Club is going from strength to strength. I have been watching the club for some 34 years and during that time Saffron Walden have had some good teams.
But the display during the first half of our game on February 24 against Cornard United was, in my opinion, the best football I have ever seen them play.
On a cold and wet day on a slippery surface, they stuck to their game-plan of playing football. It was a joy to watch, 'push and run' like the Spurs team of the 1960s.
Although we missed a hatful of chances, some of these days it will click.
All credit must go to our motivational chairman and our excellent manager and coaches for developing the lads and insisting on a disciplined and hard-working approach.
One of the opposition committee said to me that he was very impressed by our football. I replied that I was very proud of the team, as I know our chairman, manager and coaches are.
- 1 Uttlesford District Council row over £4m 'black hole'
- 2 Plan to ease congestion at M11 junction 8 gets underway
- 3 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 4 In pictures: Burns Night at Walden's The Railway Arms
- 5 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 6 Stansted Airport boss confident that passenger numbers will rally
- 7 Walden's Wizard of Oz snowflake trail winner is crowned
- 8 Radical women of Saffron Walden walking tour
- 9 Suspected crowbar assault leaves Stansted driver with serious injuries
- 10 Cambridge Literary Festival is back with first names announced for spring 2022 showpiece
I also received a congratulatory letter from our main sponsors regarding us reaching our divisional cup final, Mr and Mrs Riley of DAS Business Furniture, which I conveyed to the team before our last home match. Well done lads.