Well done train station
Audley End station deserves congratulations for being voted the best station on the London to Cambridge line ( Station s first class award , Reporter, July 3) but those making the choice must have used their car or a taxi to reach the station. Many of oth
Audley End station deserves congratulations for being voted the best station on the London to Cambridge line ('Station's first class award', Reporter, July 3) but those making the choice must have used their car or a taxi to reach the station.
Many of other stations on the line such as Harlow, Sawbridgeworth, Stortford or Cambridge have a proper bus service to and from the station and a system (called PLUSBUS) of buying a day's use of the local bus services with your train ticket - for example using all the buses in the Stortford area adds only £1.70 to your train fare. - compare that with the car park charge.
Audley End has a very inadequate and rather expensive bus service, no way for bus tickets to be bought with your train ticket, and Network Rail has so far failed to back Essex County Council's plans to improve bus facilities and services at the station.
As a bus/coach/train operator, National Express should be at the forefront of providing a 'joined-up' system of public transport rather than running a train service that almost all its passengers cannot get to on foot, by cycle or bus.
Representatives of Uttlesford and Essex councils, local bus firms and local user groups meet regularly at the Uttlesford Transport Forum. Network Rail and National Express get invitations but have not attended a meeting for ages. A joined-up transport service requires a willingness to co-operate. The next meeting of the Uttlesford Transport Form is July 24 - will the rail companies come this time?
David Corke & Paul Garland, Sustainable Uttlesford Transport Group
- 1 Driver shortage leaves Walden pupil without school transport
- 2 Suspected crowbar assault leaves Stansted driver with serious injuries
- 3 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 4 Solar farm planning application near Thaxted
- 5 Data reveals distracted drivers repeatedly caught in Essex
- 6 Plans for 18 houses in Countryside Protection Zone near Stansted Airport
- 7 Police appeals into two Uttlesford incidents
- 8 Essex: More Electric Vehicles needed to meet goals
- 9 Saffron Walden youngsters show grit in defeat to Wymondham
- 10 easyJet: 'We don't have plans for more routes from Stansted'