Where are kids meant to play?
Sunday February 17, a nice crisp bright clear day, I take my children over to the large empty car park at the Saffron Walden County High sports centre/gym, I m racing an electric model car and my young children are chasing a football. The caretaker of th
Sunday February 17, a nice crisp bright clear day, I take my children over to the large empty car park at the Saffron Walden County High sports centre/gym, I'm racing an electric model car and my young children are chasing a football.
The caretaker of the school calls to me and asks us to leave, explaining that it's a private car park and they've made great efforts to stop people playing and skateboarding.
If he lets me stay, he says, he'll have to let everyone else stay and play - I was extremely surprised at this and questioned why, but was told firmly "you'll have to leave".
We were minding our own business for half an hour on a lovely sunny day. Is it any wonder that kids get an attitude and wander the streets; where are they meant to go and play/hang out? We left without protest, but where will this end?
You may also want to watch:
We have double yellow lines everywhere, have to pay to park and now a simple game in a playground is banned. I think Saffron Walden, and the UK, needs to look at France, where you can do pretty much as you please, and guess what - because it's more relaxed, so are the people.
- 1 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 2 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 3 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 4 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 6 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 7 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 8 In pictures: Saffron Walden Round Table's Big Day Out
- 9 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on July 22, 2021
- 10 Medical practice moving this week, and former £1.4m base attracts offer