Where is the £100,000?
I CLEARLY remember that five or six years ago Saffron Walden Town Council charged the council tax payers £100,000 in the budget earmarked for the purchase of playing fields. A field just outside the town came up for sale which was affordable but Essex Co
I CLEARLY remember that five or six years ago Saffron Walden Town Council charged the council tax payers £100,000 in the budget earmarked for the purchase of playing fields.
A field just outside the town came up for sale which was affordable but Essex County Highways blocked the planning application for reasons of access onto the highway. Then the town council decided to keep our money in the reserve set aside for the purchase of any suitable land which may become available.
It is my concern that this money may not be available for playing fields in the future as the town council is using its reserves to bale out Uttlesford District Council by taking on the day to day running costs of the tourist information centre and emptying of litter bins.
We, the council tax payers, now appear to be paying two councils for the same service while the need for sports facilities remains as great now as it was six years ago, or has this been conveniently forgotten?
You may also want to watch:
Simon Trimnell, Station Road, Saffron Walden
- 1 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 2 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 3 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 4 Circuit star William Gilbank sets sights on professional sport
- 5 Essex Austin Seven Club takes in Saffron Walden on tour
- 6 Appeal to find Stansted teen, missing for five days
- 7 Saffron Walden triathletes doing themselves and their clubs proud at championships
- 8 More restrictions set to be scrapped in Boris Johnson's winter Covid plan
- 9 Dramatic pictures show extent of three north-west Essex farm fires
- 10 Ribbon cut celebrates reopening of town playground