Where is the £100,000?
I CLEARLY remember that five or six years ago Saffron Walden Town Council charged the council tax payers £100,000 in the budget earmarked for the purchase of playing fields. A field just outside the town came up for sale which was affordable but Essex Co
I CLEARLY remember that five or six years ago Saffron Walden Town Council charged the council tax payers £100,000 in the budget earmarked for the purchase of playing fields.
A field just outside the town came up for sale which was affordable but Essex County Highways blocked the planning application for reasons of access onto the highway. Then the town council decided to keep our money in the reserve set aside for the purchase of any suitable land which may become available.
It is my concern that this money may not be available for playing fields in the future as the town council is using its reserves to bale out Uttlesford District Council by taking on the day to day running costs of the tourist information centre and emptying of litter bins.
We, the council tax payers, now appear to be paying two councils for the same service while the need for sports facilities remains as great now as it was six years ago, or has this been conveniently forgotten?
You may also want to watch:
Simon Trimnell, Station Road, Saffron Walden
- 1 First business to sponsor Walden's Dance in the Square 2021
- 2 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 3 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 4 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 5 Lana's efforts help to feed the community
- 6 Lockdown easing: Saffron Walden Museum to reopen on May 20
- 7 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 8 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal