Wind farm has no local benefits
MR HANNAH S letter about wind farms makes the point that offshore sites may be a desirable solution but, since they are not available locally, he argues we should support the proposed Linton monstrosity, implying that a local windfarm would somehow be of
MR HANNAH'S letter about wind farms makes the point that offshore sites may be a desirable solution but, since they are not available locally, he argues we should support the proposed Linton monstrosity, implying that a local windfarm would somehow be of local benefit.
How wrong can you be! Because wind power is by nature intermittent and variable, all electricity so generated has to be fed into the national grid where it can and must be balanced out by conventional generating facilities.
And once it's in the national grid it will be used anywhere in Britain. There is no local benefit whatsoever from a local wind farm.
If wind generation has to be a part of our generating capacity, it makes sense to site it where there is, er, wind. Given that the prevailing wind direction is from the west, the sheltered east is not a rational choice.
You may also want to watch:
A similar sized farm in the remote west where no-one will be disturbed by it and few will see it seems the obvious solution. A farm in Linton will not only be an intrusive eyesore, but inefficient too. There are no local benefits, and we should oppose it.
Norman Wells, Museum Yard, Saffron Walden
- 1 Market Square event organisers "amazed" at popularity of dine-out event
- 2 Wiseman dynasty gets new star as 15-year-old Max hits first senior ton
- 3 New mayor, deputy mayor and leader appointed for town council
- 4 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 5 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 6 Walden teddy bear shop to relocate to new venue
- 7 Ex-prison governor on writing, retirement and baking at Angela Reed
- 8 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
- 9 Front garden VE Day display planned in Great Chesterford
- 10 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal